• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chubs Update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The little snot is 32 days old. he has fledged from the nest for awhile, BUT the little brat is being difficult in wanting to wean. He knows where the food plate is, but he will sit on a branch above the parents and cry and call to be fed...LOL. If they ignore him he will actually jump on any adult bird and try and force food from their mouths!...he is bad. But, I did catch him down there chowing down on banana, so he is capable of eating if he tries...

Here are some pix...

Attachments

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw what a little rascal :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Finally, a wonderful update. Thank you, thank you!:dance4:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Aw what a little rascal :)
--------------------

LOL...he is! If you look at the one collage with the greens he actually did nibble on Daddys toe :)

He also loves bark, and has stripped the skin off the Noni plant in the cage.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I like the begging pic.:D

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Awwww, so cute! What a little stinker :hehe:

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
Great pics! Glad to hear he is doing well! :dance4: If mousers weren't so demanding of MAINLY fresh-food meals, I'd grab him right up!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ah...my mousebirds are still teaching me. I have learned thru observation that with the BN they have their nesting area where the eggs are kinda flat. Since the eggs are getting close to hatch I noticed that they have been foraging in the cage for things to add to the nest. As soon as I put alot of different things in there they started grabbing stuff and running to the nest. I wish I would;ve known this with the previous clutch, which would have helped saved some eggs that fell from the nest, and when little Chubbs was hanging thru the nest bottom. They are taking the nesting materials and forming a real nice bowl shaped area arounfd the eggs...Yay!

Chubs joined in, but he is not sure if he's supposed to eat it or what to do with it...LOL.

The nesting wheels are refillable. I may take one and cut half the side from one, and put greens and treats in it to see if he will try to eat more on his own.

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
AWWW..Chubs on the merry go round..lol:heart:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Great pics! Glad to hear he is doing well! :dance4: If mousers weren't so demanding of MAINLY fresh-food meals, I'd grab him right up!
-----------------------------------

Yes...they are. They can EAT. I have been in contact with several other mousebird breeders and discussing diets and have learned of more things to give them. I'm hoping to add 5 new red-faced to my flock, of which there are females for my 2 bachelors. And 5 more white-backed soon.

Chubs will probably stay here. His mother was Ruby, and Pinks is the mother of these eggs, so if any females they will be a future his males.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:omg: I love Chubs and the descriptions..If I leaved near you , I would be going home with him..love all the pics....

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
:omg: I love Chubs and the descriptions..If I leaved near you , I would be going home with him..love all the pics....
---------------------------

Careful Anne, there is a breeder up your way/Canada that may have some baby Chubs. I was just checking with him and he doesn't ship. He has some Speckled babies too :)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The little brat watched as the adults were eating and was above them carrying on and crying. they ignored him, and he shook his feathers and flounced down to the feedbowl with a grumpy look and started eating banana on his own. Then he went up to the nest and tried to feed Mommy.

I thought I'd better check to see if eggs hatched...Nope, but the nest is a nice bowl shaped. If you look at the feathers in the front they are from Brownie the Goose (not happy about donating feathers) The 2 eggs towards the front are the ones closest to hatch. Please...fingers crossed, let more than 1 baby hatch/survive.

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I thought there were four, there are six!!:dance4: I will keep sending positive energy that every one will hatch and fledge!!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I thought there were four, there are six!!:dance4: I will keep sending positive energy that every one will hatch and fledge!!
-------------------------------------------

In looking at the pix you can just barely see the varience in the white of the eggs. The ones that appear to be the whitest are the oldest eggs, and the ones that have a slight pinkish white cast are the newest ones. I had to go thru some of the older pixs from the previous clutch and also noticed it, and could tell from the previous clutch there were some infertiles which were the one that got dumped or dissapeared last time.

It looks like fertility is better this time. And they have the inside of their nest better built so hopefully things will go better this time around.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Well that makes sense that new ones would be pinker/lighter..because the others are dark because there are little bn's waiting to pop out, right?:D

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Something is going on in the nest. I have several adults looking and moving the eggs around. I'm wondering if there is an egg ready to hatch? I'll check in another hour or so and see what has got their interest.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Woohoo..keep us updated..how exciting!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.