• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chronic Nesting Behavior and MICE.

oliviikate

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liv
Hello all,

This past spring my canary started exhibiting chronic nesting behavior. Any food bowl I put in their cage she tried to lay in. I tried everything. I was finally able to break this behavior by replacing their food-bowls with Tupperware lids on the bottom of the cage. We did this until she started her yearly molt and I put the food bowls back. It worked for a few weeks until she started trying to nest again, and I put the tupperware lids back again.

We live in a new apartment now. The tupperware has been back in the cage for a few weeks now. Tonight I was mortified to find a field mouse in their cage with them. The tupperware containers were immediately tossed and I cleaned out the bottom half of their cage where any tossed seeds were, but I am at a loss of what I will do if she tries to nest again. I never go more than a few days without switching out the lining on the bottom of the cage. I am so angry that this happened.

I have been trying so hard to do what is best for my girls. I hope I haven't made any massive mistakes along the way - it's been really hard to find resources online on how to deal with the nesting behavior. Does anyone have any advice? I've already contacted my new landlord.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
I wonder if the two problems are linked and she is laying on the food due to the presence of mice, she may be protecting her food?

The mice have probably been visiting far longer than you know, starting with quick trips into the cage to fetch food, then eventually reaching the point they are secure enough in the cage to actually get spotted by you.

Personally I'd be more worried about that, and the health implications of your Canary eating food contaminated by Mice.

I change the newspaper everyday and empty the cage of any food and the water bottle shortly before lights out, that includes cuttlefish bone and especially any seeds on the bottom of the cage.

oliviikate

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liv
I don't think that's it. We've only lived in this apartment for a month and that was the first sign of any rodents I'd seen. Before that I was living with my parents and went 10 years living in the same room without ever seeing any signs of a mouse. I think we would've seen scat when we were moving my furniture. And the nesting behavior started in the spring.
I can absolutely see how if the mice issue continues it could affect their well-being though. I'm glad I caught it when I did. We put in a maintenance order for mouse traps, but I may lay out a few of my own until they can get here.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
Up to you but prevention is better than cure. Leaving bird seed and water in the cage overnight is an invitation for mice.

If you've only been there a month and you've seen one in the cage already it means there's more of them.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'd set up alot of mouse traps, because your birds and you could get seriously sick. I'm sorry I don't have a answer for your chronic egg laying problem, but maybe @Ripshod could help?