• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chronic Egg Laying, could it be hormonal?

MissLeigh

Strolling the yard
Bee pollen has a lot of protein in it. Not really something you want to feed a lot of or any to a bird that is already having egg laying issues. It is more of a supplement you would add to food as a booster and not an actual source of food.

Your not going to find a pellet that only has the ingredients you want in them. Roudybush, Harrison's and Zupreem are not bad products. What your failing to consider when rejecting them as food for your bird is that they are "formulated" with balance in mind (crude protein, fat, vitamins, etc). The proper balance and ratios of food and the nutrients in food is what's truly important when considering diet. Too much or not enough of any one thing is not only NOT good but it also affects the other things they eat because all these things (vitamins, minerals, protein, fat etc) rely on the other things in the proper proportion in order to work and be utilized.

Changing/improving/altering your birds diet is good and certainly couldn't hurt but it is not the root of your hens problem. She has become a chronic layer whether it's in her lineage or it was developed and diet is only one part of the problem that needs to be addressed.
I am realizing that sad fact, no pellet meets my requirements except Totally Organics which she WILL NOT eat. She eats a bit, like two pieces and that's all. When I mix it with Harrison's, she picks the Harrison's out. So, you are right, not pellet is gonna be perfect. I just don't want soy. Soy or Bee Pollen, both seem bad. I will keep searching. Thanks for the info about bee pollen. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have one of the most stubborn junk food addict birds there is. What finally worked for me after 2 years of trying was to use Zupreem Naturals (No coloring) in the small cockatiel size (size is important). I soak them in cold water for about 20 minutes ahead of feeding so they absorb all the water. They are the only pellets I've found that don't turn to mush when wet. They hold their shape and turn into nice little spongy bite size bits. Tika eats them without even biting them because they are his bite size. I also feed them from a spoon in a quiet place like the bathroom so there is no distractions and nothing else to focus on except eating. If I can get two spoonfuls worth into him I'm happy. To start out you could feed them one by one out of your fingers until he suddenly finds his appetite. I've found it's a matter of just getting the first few in them and them the eating instinct kind of takes over.

I wish my birds would eat Harrison's because that is what I would prefer to feed them. It's a great pellet and if a bird is eating it they are getting good nutrition.

Personally I think your trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist as far as diet goes.

Clive hit the nail on the head.

Yes it is very true some birds do become chronic egg laying machines.
WHY?
Lets start with the breeders. They could be to blame! Why do I say this? Simple! They select birds that lay eggs. So they breed these known egg layers. Right!

Last edited:

MissLeigh

Strolling the yard
I have one of the most stubborn junk food addict birds there is. What finally worked for me after 2 years of trying was to use Zupreem Naturals (No coloring) in the small cockatiel size (size is important). I soak them in cold water for about 20 minutes ahead of feeding so they absorb all the water. They are the only pellets I've found that don't turn to mush when wet. They hold their shape and turn into nice little spongy bite size bits. Tika eats them without even biting them because they are his bite size. I also feed them from a spoon in a quiet place like the bathroom so there is no distractions and nothing else to focus on except eating. If I can get two spoonfuls worth into him I'm happy. To start out you could feed them one by one out of your fingers until he suddenly finds his appetite. I've found it's a matter of just getting the first few in them and them the eating instinct kind of takes over.

I wish my birds would eat Harrison's because that is what I would prefer to feed them. It's a great pellet and if a bird is eating it they are getting good nutrition.

Personally I think your trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist as far as diet goes.

Clive hit the nail on the head.
Actually, she did eat a bit when I put it in my hand, but not enough for a meal. I can try that again....