• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Christmas dangers for fids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
With the holidays coming up what are some things to watch out for with your birds?

I know I am getting a small fake tree for the season hoping that it will be less appealing for Noodle, Abby and Elvis to land in.

Wrappings will be kept clear and I am making sure guests that might bring something over that needs reheating know that teflon is not allowed through my front door.

The fids will be kept in a quiet area away from guests during the main part of the holiday to keep from stressing them out or having someone feed them something harmful or put fingers where they do not belong.

What is everyone else doing and is there any other dangers with the tinsel time of the year that I am missing?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Don't allow guests to feed your birds anything with out you standing there !

Don't let them near the wires for the lights on the tree , if you use those icicle things - you just toss them on the tree they're like garland only messy - i'd keep that away from the birds too I know those aren't safe for cats/dogs

I'd also make sure your guests know not to shower in their perfume/cologne - matter of fact deodorant is just fine maybe they can leave the perfume/cologne off all together... i know some brands are Strong even if applied hours and hours before hand

i have to keep telling my neighbor boy to shower and change and leave the cologne off before he comes over . he puts on before school So around 6 am he doesn't come here til around 3:30-4pm and it still gags me and I know it's not just been put on he comes straight over to my house when he gets off the bus

of course make sure all kids understand no sticking fingers in cages even if they're in another room kids are good for going off and nosing around

thats all i can think off off the top of my head

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Holly is poisonous to birds. I would be careful of lights, tinsel, poisonous Christmas plants Poisonous and Safe Plants for Birds
Mistletoe is also poisonous. Cords for lights could be chewed. Ornaments that could get chewed.

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
AWESOME link Saroj! It answered a few of my own questions.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
One thing I can think of it bulbs. If they start to chew it and it breaks that would be horrible. Those old fashioned bulbs everyone has. At Christmas when my birds are out I put a blanket over the tree so they don’t go on it. They can get tangled in the Christmas tree lights.

You should not put tinsel on your Christmas tree. They can get caught in it or ingest it and it’s way to dangerous.

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
Anyone who wants to touch your fids must wash hands first!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.