• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chotu's Ellimination Diet Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
As I was preparing their food this morning it dawned on me that maybe Chotu could be allergic to peanut products, because there are whole peanuts in the shell in their seed mix that I got from Shashi. He said that Chotu started to itch and pluck when they were in the process of moving to their friends house and they just thought it was from lack of attention and the household being in flux, but I'm wondering if they bought a new seed brand that had peanuts in it.

So that is where I'm going to start.

This means no nutriberries and no seed products that have peanuts in them.

I am going to order the Roudybush rice diet and some good seed with no peanuts in it.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to move on to elliminating corn products. This is going to be harder as practically all pellets are corn based as well as avicakes.

This also means that all three of them are going to have to be switched because they eat out of each others food dishes.

Also none of these guys like birdy bread or cooked mashes.

Can you cook rice, oats, couscous etc., and then let them dry out so that they're more like seed than mash?

Ginger

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I think what you are suggesting is close to what I do, not that I actually dry them, that wouldn't be too edible......... but I cook grains with the lower water amount suggested and at the end cook and stir till it is not watery but the grains have been softened but not mushy.
You might want to try the Kashi mix as that has a good variety of grains all in one package.
How about sprouts, would they eat those?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Yes Danita,

Both the spray and the cream. The cream was not a good choice because it gummed up his feathers and made him groom more.

What I have been doing lately is washing the area with antibactierial Dawn. That seems to be helping a little bit.

Before I started actually washing it, he had a very strong musky odor. Now he doesn't smell hardly at all.

Ginger

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
How's it going for him? Have you seen a difference?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Yes, but I think it's because I have been washing his butt with Dawn Antibacterial Dish Soap 2-3 times a week.

Ginger

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Maybe it's some sort of bacteria or fungus?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
That's what I was thinking because even though I have put the peanut-less food in their cage he still raids Trinket's food dish and that has the nutriberries in it.

Ginger

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I'm glad the treatment is working for him. :) How does he tolerate the baths?

Status
Not open for further replies.