• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chop!

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
So I used to make veggies chops for Kiwi and Baylee but since Kiwi died i hadn’t done any chop !!! Due to Baylee’s pickyness and size she eats a small amount of it. I want a small recipe not a large batch!

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
I'm going through the same thing, I used to do a big batch of chop for blaze and scarlet but since scarlet passed I'm only giving blaze lettuce because if I would give him chop he wouldn't eat it.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
You can just take your old recipe and make it half.:lol:

I only have one bird to feed, so I make a batch enough for a month, and freeze everything but a weeks worth.

TheMacDadd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ahmad
You can just take your old recipe and make it half.:lol:

I only have one bird to feed, so I make a batch enough for a month, and freeze everything but a weeks worth.
hold up when you freeze the chop how do you warm it up when your bird is ready to eat? if I did what you were doing it would be wayyyy mich easier.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I find rather than making a big batch of raw chop that it’s now easier for me to just make extra of any and every veg and grain I’m having for tea and just pop a few portions into snap bags and then freeze- I don’t ever use salt or butter when I cook most things that Burt can have and I bake/roast most of my veg without oil so this is also fine for Burt. Doing it this way I find I can mix the pre prepared frozen veg and grains each morning and add some fresh grated or chopped raw veg and sprouts and make it varied every day with minimal effort put in.

I usually have froz peas, froz corn, froz spinach and kale from supermarket with no added salt- I boil or roast beetroot, dice and freeze, mashed steamed sweet potato, roasted and mashed or chopped sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot, also a heap of little bags of different grains- rice, quinoa, chickpea, buckwheat.
Any fresh stuff I now do as it’s needed which is usually simply a few minutes each morning - this way I don’t have Burt getting all fed up with the same foods and I’m not ever feeding him soggy week old food, I don’t get ice build up on the food (our freezer gets opened way too much!) and I always have something to make a tasty quick breakfast from.