• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chop for pigeons and Diamond doves?

Jogging around the block
I‘ve been making up chop fresh every morning for all the birds, the lovebirds,budgies,finches and canaries like it.
I gave some to the diamond doves too, they didn‘t eat it except for one who ate literally one tiny piece. I left the chop in there for a little while and came back to see one sitting in the dish. I put my hand in the cage for a water change and he still stayed there when they usually move away, almost like he was protecting it. They all seemed to be taking turns sitting on it. Were they incubating it? It could be the dish I thought but it’s the exactly same model and size as their seed dish, which they never sit in. I took it away after monitoring them for a while as if it was a hormonal thing I didn’t want to encourage it. They have carrot coloured bellies now :meh:.Does anyone know why they did this?
They’re on a bit of a bad diet right now, only dry seed. I’ve tried sprouted seed but they think it’s weird and won’t eat it, is this because I feed it moist? The others don’t mind it. Tried crumbles/ pellets for vitamins since no greens but they don’t like it either. Currently to try make up for this giving them vitamin supplement in their water.
Also is this the right size of chop for them to eat? It’s the size I give to the finches 053A8B05-D784-4852-B529-C439559B83EE.jpeg

I’ve Also been trying to wean the pigeons off their bad all seed diet, they don’t seem to notice if I sprout but I like to give my birds variety of greens. They don’t touch the chop (I make it to the appropriate size to their beaks) . Any ideas on getting them to eat the chop?
I also just wanted to make sure the pigeons are able to eat the same sprouted seeds I give to the rest?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Birdbabe is very knowledgeable about pigeons, and may be able to tell you.

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Pigeons are grainivores, meaning they need that all seed diet to be healthy! They should not (or rarely) be fed fresh veggies, fruits, and all that -- it can be rather hard for them to digest. Legumes can make a great addition to their diets though!
I'm not 100% sure if this applies to diamond doves as well, but it should be something similar.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They have carrot coloured bellies now :meh:.Does anyone know why they did this?
:laugh:
They didn’t know what to do with it, but they were trying their best to please you!:roflmao:

honestly I don’t know. Just keep giving them chop, the size you made is fine

Jogging around the block
Thankyou for the advice everyone :)
@Birdbabe do you chop up the broccoli or just leave it whole for them peck at?

Jogging around the block
I shave off the tiny florets with a knife,,:facepalm:..sorry, should have clarified..
All good, thanks. That's how I can sometimes trick the diamond doves into eating it, I can't know for sure but I think they mistake it for millet :lol:I'll probably try it for them sometime too.