• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Choosing between two siblings

Orphant

Moving in
Real Name
Jason
I have put a down payment on one of two male SI Eclecti babies just getting their feathers as they hatched in mid-late December. One is about a week older than the other. I'm not close enough to the breeder to be able to go see them except maybe when I pick "Perrin" up. So I'm relying on pictures, videos, and information the breeder is giving me to decide which one is a better fit for me. This will be my first parrot, but I've done my research. When they are another couple of weeks older, I hope to do a Skype call with the breeder and the babies to decide which one is "Perrin." I'm thinking about things I could look for and ask. A couple I've come up with;

Is one of the two more "cuddly" than the other?
Which of the two makes more noises in general?
Do either of the two like their head scratched?

Experientially, do any of you know of qualities in very young SI Eclecti babies that would help me in this decision? Ultimately, I will just "know" and I'm just over thinking it, but was curious if there was any advise on the subject.

- Jason . . .

The two Perrins.jpg

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Eclectus in general are not fond of being scratched, nor are they known for being "cuddly" birds.

Honestly I don't think that any of the qualities you mentioned will be something that the bird retains as he matures. Noise levels change (and can change significantly) and a bird that enjoys spending time with you may be more hands off once they mature.

That said, just talk to the breeder. Ask them about their personalities in general rather than focusing on one or two traits.

Featherluv

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Stefanie
They are adorable! Good luck choosing!

Seeing how they act with the breeder is not guaranteed that they will be the same with you. Ultimately whatever traits they have as babies will change as they reach sexual maturity. Your best bet is to wait if you can & let one pick you when you go!

lpolliard

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leroy
I read you should pick the one that is more inquisitive. He will probably be the one more intelligent and able to learn at a faster rate.

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Look at those big ekkie feet! :heart: I would also pick the one that is more inquisitive of his surroundings.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I've only had 4 clutches so my experience is limited but I can tell you that babies go through many stages before they develop their own definite personality. I would expect them to be a good 4 or 5 months old before the breeder can tell you who is going to prefer a lively household compared to who might like a bit less action. But, regardless which one you select the way YOU handle the bird, especially the first couple months you have him, will make a huge difference in how it reacts to you.

There is a stage where any youngster will bite if you put your hand in its cage. You can actually teach it to bite by doing this, which of course you don't want to do. Right after they fledge, which you of course won't witness as you will not get your baby until it is fully weaned at about 5 or 6 month most likely, the youngsters will strike at any hand coming at them, even their hand feeder. So someone observing them might think that one or the other was more aggressive since instead of taking a treat nicely at say 12 or 13 weeks, the chick tries to bite at the hand. But what would be happening is the natural instinct of a young bird to strike something approaching them. Soon they get beyond this stage and if they have not been pestered to death, will begin approaching people on their own. Most Eclectus are very nice birds who for the most part, tame themselves.

Of course there are some subtle differences in each individuals, but IMO and IME whichever bird comes to live with you will do just fine and learn your ways as you learn his.

They continue to change as they mature and by the time you have a 4 or 5 year old bird you may think back and wonder if it is the same fellow you brought home!

On a side note, if you have an experienced breeder s/he will ask you many questions, trying to determine what type of home you have (noisy kids, retired person, yippy dogs, anxious partner) and *try* to match the bird to your personality and lifestyle. Sometimes a breeder may even tell you that they are not sure the species they breed would be suited to your home.

Like Jenny said, Eclectus don't care to much about receiving scritches or being petted. The reason is because of the feather structure on their head and neck feathers, compared to other parrots. These are the areas that a bird cannot reach too well on itself, other than a scratch with their toenail or rubbing against something, so most parrots accept and enjoy help removing the sheaths on pin feathers growing in these areas -- scritches. Well, Eclectus feathers in these areas are almost hairlike with sheaths that easily fall off on their own, with maybe an occasional foot scratching to speed things up. I do have a handicapped young bird who cannot move his legs and he does accept a bit of touching in that area from me when he has lots of pin feathers. You will rarely see an Eclectus grooming another Eclectus other than a parent with a very young chick, but some Eclectus can be "taught" to groom other species by the other species.

Regarding cuddling, I highly discourage it. Do some reading online about Eclectus, especially the pet males, and you'll see that owners become quite frustrated trying to discourage mating behavior directed at themselves, from birds they have cuddled with over the years.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I read you should pick the one that is more inquisitive. He will probably be the one more intelligent and able to learn at a faster rate.
I don't think that's true at all. In fact, it used to be said that eclectus were not as intelligent as other species because they tend to hang back and watch their surroundings. Obviously they're quite smart, but more reserved than macs or greys.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
i actually had the choice between choosing chaucer and his slightly younger brother. i should have chose both and regret separating them.
anyhow, my breeder thought chaucer was the better choice for me and that was that

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
It can take a while for an eclectus to settle in as well. It is easy during that time to get discouraged and start thinking that the bond isn't happening or that the bird doesn't like you. It could possibly take a few months before he is comfortable enough to step up on your hand. Just keep building the trust and respect him. Patience is the most important thing!

Adorable babies by the way!

Orphant

Moving in
Real Name
Jason
I love all the feedback everybody is giving. Thank you so much. I was raised on a farm and generally know how to tell different siblings apart, like the runt in the litter, or a good blood line in a hound, etc. So it seemed like there should be ways to pick out a parrot from a clutch. Like is the size of the feet an indication of anything?

Deep Gratitude,

-Jason . . .

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I love all the feedback everybody is giving. Thank you so much. I was raised on a farm and generally know how to tell different siblings apart, like the runt in the litter, or a good blood line in a hound, etc. So it seemed like there should be ways to pick out a parrot from a clutch. Like is the size of the feet an indication of anything?

Deep Gratitude,

-Jason . . .
Nope! Parrot feet will be their adult size rather quickly during development, it's one of the reasons that a breeder has to put a band on a baby before they're a certain amount of days old.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I agree with Kathy, Babies go through so many stages and changes in personality throughout development that choosing at such an age based on a particular trait is not always advised.
Inquisitivness can also be indicated by age as well, if one is a week older they are going to show more curiosity ahead of the other baby and the younger will most likley learn from the older one.
I have had babies go through a seriously scatty phase then grow through it and become an outstanding friendly and confidant bird.

I honesty feel it is better to meet in person and see if you make a personal connection with an individual.
Kathy is also right in saying it has so much to do with you and how you handle the bird as to how the baby will develop and react to its environment.