• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Choosing Another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Uh oh!!! I think it's happening already. I noticed that in the last couple of nights when my husband is around Slater will leave me and go to him for head scritches. My scritches aren't good enough anymore! My husband doesn't even spend time with him but Slater seems to want his attention. What to do?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Uh oh!!! I think it's happening already. I noticed that in the last couple of nights when my husband is around Slater will leave me and go to him for head scritches. My scritches aren't good enough anymore! My husband doesn't even spend time with him but Slater seems to want his attention. What to do?

It sounds like he really likes your husband and has maybe chosen him. I will let the grey owners give you advice, butwanted to comment that I have a 14 year old dog named Slater:)

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
It sounds like he really likes your husband and has maybe chosen him. I will let the grey owners give you advice, butwanted to comment that I have a 14 year old dog named Slater:)
Yea I have a feeling he likes my husband more. So sad.

Slater is a great name isn't it?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yea I have a feeling he likes my husband more. So sad.

Slater is a great name isn't it?
He could get more attached to you over time though, just keep working at it.

My Slater is named after the stoner guy from Dazed and Confused:) Here he is....this is hime a couple of years ago, my dear old red dog:)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Awwwwww Slater is just gorgeous, and he looks so comfy on that cushion. How old is he? They are lovely companions and are such lovely friends to have around arent they?
I have three, a 57heinz variety that looks like a black labrador, a welsh sheepdog and a shetland sheepdog, so they are well ruled by the five parrots. :rofl:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Karen, so sorry to go off on a tangent in your post. If your Grey has "bonded" with your husband then that is what will happen. afraid you will have to take second place!
You can still interact with your Grey but at a different level usually. They will be more for the one person they have chosen.
That is why when buying a bird it is best a Grey chooses you!
then if it is a baby it will grow up an maybe looking on you as Mum go off and bond with another member of the family, so you have no garuanties either way.
Same as if two Greys bond to mate for life, you will not have a close relationship with either as a companion bird,as their partner will always come first with them.:(

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
He could get more attached to you over time though, just keep working at it.

My Slater is named after the stoner guy from Dazed and Confused:) Here he is....this is hime a couple of years ago, my dear old red dog:)

I am the primary caregiver, cage cleaner and I play with him all the time. I just can't bear the thought of him choosing my husband since he does nothing with him!!!! Argh!!!!!

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Karen, so sorry to go off on a tangent in your post. If your Grey has "bonded" with your husband then that is what will happen. afraid you will have to take second place!
You can still interact with your Grey but at a different level usually. They will be more for the one person they have chosen.
That is why when buying a bird it is best a Grey chooses you!
then if it is a baby it will grow up an maybe looking on you as Mum go off and bond with another member of the family, so you have no garuanties either way.
Same as if two Greys bond to mate for life, you will not have a close relationship with either as a companion bird,as their partner will always come first with them.:(

That's ok. Glad you're back.

We'll see what happens in the days and weeks to come. Right now it appears he only wants my husband only for head scratches. Will keep you guys posted.

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
Unfortunately there's nothing you can do, you're not the one in charge.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Awwwwww Slater is just gorgeous, and he looks so comfy on that cushion. How old is he? They are lovely companions and are such lovely friends to have around arent they?
I have three, a 57heinz variety that looks like a black labrador, a welsh sheepdog and a shetland sheepdog, so they are well ruled by the five parrots. :rofl:
Thank you:) He's 14 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.