• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Choosing a Bird

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
So, I've done a lot of research and a lot of digging around for which bird might be right for me. But of course, I'm always up for more advice. I've talked to my family about it and they all seem fine with getting a bird. I believe being flexible is very important when picking a bird, because no bird is the same as another, each have their own personalities despite their species. I was more hoping for some points in the right direction. I adore bigger birds but they tend to be louder, and I'm currently eighteen so I need to prepare for the possibility of living in an apartment. I've seen apartment complexes with Conures so they aren't completely off the table I hope. I've been mostly looking into Poicephalus because of their reputation for being quieter than others. Noise isn't a problem for me personally but I gotta think about the neighbors and my poor family that has to deal with it! I also would prefer an affectionate bird. I want a bird to bond with and be my best friend, I'm ready for a commitment and know that it is for better or for worse when you purchase a bird. I'm open to the idea of rescuing a bird if it's one likely to outlive me and I definitely plan to get to know a bird before adopting. As for money it's not really an issue, my parents are more than willing to pay for the bird and its needs until I'm stable with my own finances. I'd like to know the process everyone went through when choosing their first bird so I might figure out how to choose my own.

Last edited:

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I have a female cockatiel, she is only 3 months old but loves to get scritches already. She has learned to fly to me for treats. She is very quiet, and only does some small chirps when she's interested in being let out of the cage. I don't know if she will get louder, but so far she is really quiet. Her attention span is extremely short , but I am not sure if that is because she is a young bird, or because she's a tiel, or because of her personality. She does seem abit skittish at times. If she hears a loud noise on tv she will stop what she's doing and look around with her crest up for 2-3 seconds then resume what she was doing. Sudden noises sometimes make her take flight, but that doesn't happen every day. I've had her for 1 month now. she is very playful and the only thing she will play with for longer then 10 seconds is her hanging sea grass tent or my iPad. The reason I got a cockatiel is because I read they are the easier to be friendly to everyone. I wanted her to love both me and my boyfriend, and so far so good, she loves us both so far :). Cockatiels also can deal with some time in the cage in their own. Lastly if they are frightened or bite u their hardest bite won't do any major damage, just a small cut. I only know this because I tried to trim my former tiles nails and he bit me as hard as he could, it drew blood and hurt but wasn't a serious cut.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is their a rescue near you that you can visit or volunteer with?That would be the best way to find the bird you were meant to be with.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
Cockatiels are a lot of fun, all members of the cockatoo family seem to have a lot of personality which really draws me to them. As far as bites go I don't mind them, whenever I go to pet stores I try to handle the birds unless they give me clear signs they want to be left alone. I've gotten used to being bitten (and yes I'm aware how much damage larger birds can do). As far as rescues nearby I'm sure they're are some but I currently don't have a license since I really dislike cars, but I'll look around and see what I can find nearby and maybe I can convince my mom to give me a lift, that way she can help me look at birds she'd also be ok with bringing home.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've talked to my family about it and they all seem fine with getting a bird.
This tells me you are a minor. You do not own a home. You do not support yourself and you live under somebody else's rules. As long as you stick with a small easier to look after species it may be ok but anything larger you are not in a very good situation.

Standard advice for "children" that want a parrot.

You're very well spoken for such young person. You're no doubt very intelligent but one thing you do not have and can not have at your age is life experience. You can't possibly know how bumpy and twisted that road is until you've travelled on it for quite a while and that's once "you" are driving and not just along for the ride.

You have many, many years ahead of you to fulfill all kinds of dreams. You are but a child that is thinking of getting another child. Imagine if you were to get pregnant now or get a girl pregnant now (sorry I don't know if you are a boy or girl?) and had to become a parent at your age. It would be overwhelming and something you will need to deal with for the rest of your life. On top of that the "child" you are thinking of getting is never going to grow past the age of 3 and is "never" going to move out. This child is going to need as much space, time and enrichment as you do. Not just a cage.

Live some of your life first and get those all important experiences under your belt. Become independent, stable and have a much more defined path before you make this life time commitment. You are going to want to meet and share your life with a special person also. This bird will be a factor in that even happening. There is no rush to do this because you are so young.

You just don't know what you don't know until you know. A lot of us old farts do know because we've been there, done that.

You sound like a very committed person but there is no rush.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Even a cockatiel is a lot of work. Preparing food, cleanincage, proving enrichment and spending time with your bird. Every day I let my tiel out for 3-5 hours a day and have to pick up her poop if she explores off her playstand and hanging bird tent. I target train her 1-3 times a day and slowly get her used to touch her wings, flying for treats, getting used to a harness (so far she only puts her head inside he harness and lets me touch her wings for 1-2 seconds.) she has become a much more confident flyer since the training. She's going to be 3 months old in a few days. Every night I add 3 sunflower seeds and 2 pumpkin seeds in her cage hidden in her foraging cup, mini straw basket, coconut bowl and extra food dish. I then add some pellets , paper, wood, toys , crinkled paper, on top so she has to dig for them. This way if I sleep in she has something to do to keep herself occupied. If you cannot spend at least 3 hours a day with your pet bird, u might want to get two, which will become harder to bond with unless u get one at a time. I am her best friend but she loves to explore and find new things to play with.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
@JLcribber Yeah I understand what you mean. A bird is a huge commitment and it is like having a child at my age. And even with smaller birds I truly believe no bird is "easy". They all deserve a lot of love and attention and require a lot of care. Buuuuut that doesn't mean they can't be easier financially for when I move out and adjust to life on my own. While I adore the bigger parrots I know what they need, and what I may not be able to provide. But smaller birds are just as fun.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
Cockatiels are very nice, honestly now thinking about possible financial stability in my future I think either a lovebird or a cockatiel would be best for me. I'm not sure which one though, I'll try and handle a few and get to know each bird.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
What does everyone think? Should I look for a Cockatiel, a Lovebird, a Parrotlet or a Budgie.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Male lovebirds make fine, affectionate, spunky companions. :) Cockatiels are very gentle and sweet.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
Male lovebirds make fine, affectionate, spunky companions. :) Cockatiels are very gentle and sweet.
@fluffypoptarts Affection is honestly a huge thing for me, I want to have a very special bond with my bird. I hear Cockatiels and Lovebirds are very very affectionate and bond very closely, of course it also depends on the individual bird's personality. Budgies seem nice too, they have such funny personalities. As far as Parrotlets go I haven't done a lot of research about them other than knowing they're nippy and maybe quieter than Lovebirds.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
We have one lovebird, two parrotlets, and one budgie. We also have two yorkie dogs (Lucky and Star) and three New Hampshire Reds chickens (Mocha, Latte and Espresso) too. Even when we had just one pet, it took a lot of thoughtfulness, thinking ahead and a lot of work. My daughter (19) also lives with me under my roof with her lovebird and budgie. It is understood by everyone in this house that I and my husband (main breadwinners) are ultimately responsible for the lives of everyone under this roof.

With that in mind, we know that we have a pet sitter whenever we need without having to worry about leaving for a weekend once in a while. She also has the freedom to go out and have fun while hubby and I are here. We work from home. We do not ever ignore anyone ever. We all interact with each other and play. It won't work harmoniously otherwise in my home. We took time to really understand that this will be for 20 years, no matter what for us, and we've put them in our will to assure they are taken care of if something happens to us.

Big deal to me I guess. We believe every life are miracles and treated as such.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
@Familyof12 What are the parrotlets like? I plan on getting a male bird if that narrows down what they may act like. I plan to commit to this bird like I would any other bird, I won't slack just because it is smaller, it still needs a lot of love and attention.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
My Diablo is super sweet. Warning though. They bite and hard! Carmen is the worst. Diablo much sweeter but not hand tamed at all and I believe Carmen was abused abused. They are super smart. They eat lots of veggies and fruit, roudybush, Lafevere Nutriberries & Avicakes. Here is a photo of both enjoying the sun. They didn't want to come out of their cage (they hate my camera) but they hang in the back yard and don't fly away unless they get frightened badly, but they return when I call.

fullsizeoutput_2fd.jpeg

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
Warning though. They bite and hard!
I'm bit by Conures all the time when I try to handle the ones at the pet stores. Would you say they bit harder? I don't mind a bird who likes to nip as a form of play.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
@Familyof12 I also hear that they pluck for no reason or something? I know birds pluck when under stress or bored or of course unhealthy. I don't know if I'd be able to watch the bird plucking itself without constantly worrying.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
If you want an affectionate bird, it's best to not get a wild one. One that is hand tame ! I heard female cockatiels are much more cuddly in general then males but male cocks are more show of fish and whistle some great tunes!

Ps here is my little dragon! Her name is Alsing. Cute pics incoming
haha IMG_1520.JPG
IMG_1519.JPG

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
@Tara81 She's so pretty! Cockatiels are such nice birds. I plan on getting a hand tame bird, I'm leaning more towards either Lovebirds or Cockatiels, but I'm still open to the idea of getting a Budgie or a Parrotlet.