• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Choosing a Bird

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
IMG_0737.JPG IMG_0712.JPG (Sola)

Sola is our budgie and we believe she is about eight months old. She is our newest member and can be interactive. Here is sola when I call her name. She knows it and turns around...the rest continue with whatever they are doing. She would ignore us and flutter around her cage screeching whenever we changed her water/food/floor every morning and evening for a week. The second week she started singing really beautifully, trilling to me. hen she began hopping on the back of my hand, towards the end of that second week. She loves to be "scritched" along her head and neck (I avoid body) but only inside her cage. She will come up and rub our hands with her body or peck us softly and turn her head for them. When she is out of her cage, forget it. She's free and flying, no time to stop. I'm often hand feeding her right now to make sure she eats...yes I'm trained by everyone in this house.

LOL. I don't know bites other than from my dogs when playing (they used to mouth a lot when puppies) and I have a super high pain tolerance. I do find my parrotlets to be ornery as you say. I love it though and it does make me laugh when mine bite other people. They've long since stopped biting me since I don't seem to even notice half the time and the other half I just ask them to stop and they do. I often find scratches (via scabs) or bite marks where they've tried to climb my head using my neck and ears and didn't feel it when it happened. :lol: They use their mouths to explore and see if it is steady enough to hold their weight. I adore them a lot. They like sitting on one side of the window and they will defend against anyone but me. IMG_0734.JPG (Diablo and Carmen)

Tito is the most rambunctious of our lot. He's the first to taste things from me (him and Carmen) and he's our clown. I take him and Carmen out with me in the mornings, this routine hasn't changed even though we've added new family members. So we do our walk after I serve breakfast, about 1 hour in the morning sun. We come home and they settle in for their playtime and naps. I use different times to spend time with each one and the evenings and other times are split between the dogs and the 19 year old female human who still lives with us.

IMG_0779.JPG (Tito and Carmen)

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
Sola is our budgie and we believe she is about eight months old. She is our newest member and can be interactive. Here is sola when I call her name. She knows it and turns around...the rest continue with whatever they are doing. She would ignore us and flutter around her cage screeching whenever we changed her water/food/floor every morning and evening for a week. The second week she started singing really beautifully, trilling to me. hen she began hopping on the back of my hand, towards the end of that second week. She loves to be "scritched" along her head and neck (I avoid body) but only inside her cage. She will come up and rub our hands with her body or peck us softly and turn her head for them. When she is out of her cage, forget it. She's free and flying, no time to stop. I'm often hand feeding her right now to make sure she eats...yes I'm trained by everyone in this house.

LOL. I don't know bites other than from my dogs when playing (they used to mouth a lot when puppies) and I have a super high pain tolerance. I do find my parrotlets to be ornery as you say. I love it though and it does make me laugh when mine bite other people. They've long since stopped biting me since I don't seem to even notice half the time and the other half I just ask them to stop and they do. I often find scratches (via scabs) or bite marks where they've tried to climb my head using my neck and ears and didn't feel it when it happened. :lol: They use their mouths to explore and see if it is steady enough to hold their weight. I adore them a lot.
Sola sounds so sweet! I love affectionate animals because I'm just as affectionate. As for the biting I'm pretty used to things biting me, I play with dogs that mouth a lot and my brother's ferrets will leave bites that bruise. I'm pretty used to all the play biting and I don't mind it one bit. I'd rather deal with a bird bite than a ferret bite honestly!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
Green cheek conures are fun little birds, they're usually decently quiet, and make some pretty cool noises I think. They're smart, loving, and are awesome I think. They are good as not hand tamed, but I recommend getting a hand tamed bird, it's worth it, but if you find a bird you click with, don't be hesitant.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I admit, I adore them all. Some allow "scritches" but they are not paired. I'm on the lookout for a conure or caique, who will be in a separate room and be with me all day. I'm looking for a more hands-on bird. I love playing with mine but wish they were more hands on. I'm not afraid of anything. Got to meet Bengal tigers in Thailand years ago. Fantastic. I've been attacked by Rottweilers and Dobermans (I'm only 5'2 and weight 110) but I'm too fascinated to worry. Grew up with so many birds in Hawaii. Never thought I'd ever own one. I'm a super homebody. Don't go out too often anymore now that I'm in my 50's. I have four birds, but mine have paired and are super duper happy, the other two are my daughters. I'm going to wait until one comes along that needs to be re-homed. If one does or doesn't come along, that is a sign from the universe to me. I can hope though!

I'm positive you will find your perfect mate. The right one will come along at the right time and it will be great!

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
I admit, I adore them all. Some allow "scritches" but they are not paired. I'm on the lookout for a conure or caique, who will be in a separate room and be with me all day.
I met a Caique at the pet store, it was already sold but it would just put its head down and call for scritches, it was very cute, such a sweet bird.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
I think I'll go visit this Lovebird aviary in Orlando, they seem to treat their birds well and a lot of people meet the babies before purchasing them. It's roughly an hour and a half away which isn't too bad. Does anyone know about Lovebabies Aviary?

Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Epsilon Will they let you DNA test (or will they)?

It's a shame you aren't on the east coast. It often seems like there are lovebirds here in need of adoption!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don't see any for adoption at first glance, but I found this? TampaLovebirds

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@finchly People often drop off unwanted birds at our local store. I adopted 2 of my birds from there. They have times when they get several lovebirds left during a short period. They always used to tell me when I walked in since I am Lovebird Lady, but I told them I'm full up and I try not to go if I don't have to! Lol.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@fluffypoptarts @Epsilon Awesome, both of you! :hug8:

Epsilon - I will stop trying to find you breeders then. However if you go back to parrotlets, I would like for you to meet my friend. She does breed but she also rescues (tons) of parrotlets. She'd be a wealth of information. She is cutting back on all that and breeding rosey bourkes, she told me that when I got Star on Monday.

I am all about rescue. :) So I am glad you want to go that way. We have a small local store who got lovebirds that way too, in fact when I inquired about one of them she basically said I couldn't have it! :jawdrop1: She said it is 3 years old and perhaps happiest here in the store. I guess it had a rough life and she wanted to be sure it had good care. I like that store owners are like that.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Id also consider white/canary wing parakeets, as you're in florida and they're pretty common there (they even live wild in Miami!)

They're a little larger than a lovebird, and are mostly family birds. They are absolute goofs as well! Super sweet, playful, and loving, but with a tendency to be super stubborn. I'd definetly look into them, its worth a google.

They are kinda loud though... nowhere near a Quaker, their closest relatives, more like a Green Cheek conure in volume. They love to talk a lot!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@finchly The person who runs our local store is the same way. :) She wants to make sure the birdies get a good home and a good fit with the people taking them home. Neut had a really rough start, too.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
@finchly Thank you! It's always nice to have the information if I need it. Parrotlets aren't completely off the table. Anything quieter than a Conure and affectionate but not too expensive is an option.

@Featheredfuffs I'd definitely like to learn more about them. I've never seen one in stores so I assume they aren't super common pets. I'll have to look and make sure they're legal because laws and stuff. They sound really nice though!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Some one posted about a lovebird in the Tampa bay area. Thread title cute little lovebird. @finchly and I both tagged you.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
No it is someone who has a friend who needs to regime a 5 year old hand tame lovebird. It is in Rehome highway forum.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
On Rehome highway forum all posts must be approved before posting to the thread. Mine is still waiting to be approved. So go to the Forums tab scroll down to Rehome highway and it is the first non stickered thread.