• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Choosing a Bird

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
Unfortunately my gecko Icarus isn't looking too well. He isn't shedding as well as he used to and also isn't eating as much. I assume it must be his old age but I think if he doesn't recover after a certain amount of time I'll take him to a vet.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My brother got a baby geck from PetSmart and decided to dump it on me after he didn't want it anymore, it died pretty quickly, I already had my current gecko at the time which I got from a family run pet store. They take in animals that have been relinquished by their owners, when I got Icarus he was about two years old. I'm never going to PetSmart or Petco to purchase a live animal, they usually aren't very healthy.
yeah, generally Petco and PetSmart aren't too great with their live animals. Last time I bought fish from PetSmart, they all died and wiped out my school of cory catfish (12 fish). They have a central water system though, so basically, if one tank has ich or something, they all do. My local fish store runs each tank on its own, and I've never dealt with a problem like that from them. We get most of our supplies from Petsmart and Petco though, because it's closest and cheapest.
Unfortunately my gecko Icarus isn't looking too well. He isn't shedding as well as he used to and also isn't eating as much. I assume it must be his old age but I think if he doesn't recover after a certain amount of time I'll take him to a vet.
Poor baby. I hope he gets better soon!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow fluffy those birds really are cuddle bugs! I thought lovebirds were mostly a 1 person bird is this true? I don't think many cockatiels would let u turn them upside down like that :) I almost want a lovebird too now haha! My cockatiel is still young, she started allowing me to touch her wings for a treat. I wonder if she will ever get that cuddly haha. She loves head massages but she has a very short Attention span , she wants to play with something new every 2 minutes it seems. Wil she grow out of that lol.
Lol, lovies tend to be very cuddly with their favored person! They do often bond most strongly to one person, but they'll sometimes accept the friendship of another human (or tolerate them). The one on his back, Termite, actually really warmed up to my girlfriend. She is his surrogate snuggle buddy when I'm gone, but he'll also hang out with her when I'm there, too. It just depends on how he feels on any given day. Some days are definitely Mama days and he won't be separated from me on those days. ;)

One of my hens, Neutrino, has really come to trust the girlfriend as well. The others to varying extents, but Termite is the most friendly. Twinkie is a hard sell, though. He'll fly over to her just to yell in her ear and then fly back to me. :laughin:

Your cockatiel may grow out of being so hyper - usually when they're young, they do tend to be all over the place. Young lovies can certainly be very energetic and pesky! Sometimes it does end up being a bird's default state as an adult, like with my lovie Turnip. As cute as he is, he's crazy and always on overdrive. When he flaps around the room at Mach 10, any paper lying around will get blown clear off the table. He has to do that at least three times before he can sort of settle. He's almost five now and shows no signs of slowing down. :D

In my experience, cockatiels don't quite cuddle the way lovebirds do. As sweet and loving as they are, it's just different. Lovebirds seem to want to be physically closer to people, and they're more intense by nature.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Epsilon Very cute dog! It's good that you won't trust him regardless. If you get a bird, I wouldn't even have them out together in the same room. Something can happen in the blink of an eye and then it's too late to save the bird. :(

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:( Do you have a good exotic vet where you are? (West coast of Florida, right?)

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
@fluffypoptarts Because I never really planned on having him, I never looked for a vet. I assume the reason he's not doing well is because of the twelve hour car trip my family took to North Carolina to flee from Irma. I never got a proper courier for him and I couldn't bring the cage, I had to keep him in my cricket keeper. The keeper was empty obviously and it had enough room for me to fit his favorite hide in. He doesn't eat his worms anymore, only crickets. I'm going to the pet store today to get more and I plan to feed him as much as he wants. I'm really worried about him. I wish I'd done my research. I learned the hard way what it's like to impulse buy. I am on the west coast, by Tampa.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I would consider one of the smaller poicephalus species, too. There always seem to be some up for adoption.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
@MnGuy I was considering a Red-Bellied or a Senegal but I'm not sure how well I'd do with them.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
@MnGuy I was considering a Red-Bellied or a Senegal but I'm not sure how well I'd do with them.
My female Meyers was very bird aggressive and choosy with people, but was very cuddly with me. She could have some attitude, though. I adopted her when she was 17, so her personality was pretty much set in stone. But I think adoption is the way to go. Meet some, and see how it goes.

I've never owned a lovebird, but from what I've read about them, I wouldn't think that a poicephalus would be that different/harder. Every bird is an individual, yadda yadda yadda... Good luck.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
I just left the pet store and met the sweetest Budgie, it's so rare to find a hand tame budgie at a pet store. I also saw a Monk Parakeet, he was pretty young, he tried to eat my finger as if I was his mom feeding him! I'm not too sure about Monks but that budgie was so nice.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Epsilon There is a certified avian vet up your way. You should look into that one. :)

Monk parakeets are loud IMO. We have a wild flock of them here ( about 90 miles south of you)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also an update on my gecko, the people at the pet store were super helpful and gave me a horned caterpillar to see if he'd eat it. They're super high in protein and he loves them! I'll definitely be getting more.
Glad to hear he was willing to eat it! Maybe that will perk him up some and help him recover.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
Monk parakeets are loud IMO. We have a wild flock of them here ( about 90 miles south of you)
Yeah I see them by my McDonalds, they're super loud lol. That Budgie was really sweet though. It's nice that it's hand tame already, I guess the employees take good care of them and socialize them well.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That's really nice --AND unusual! Do you feel like a budgie is for you?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Good! So you won't rush. In the meantime you can get to know each species. I found a list on my computer from some years back, when I was thinking about getting another parrot. I'd written the pros and cons of each. They were pretty funny, and probably incorrect for the most part. LOL

My experience with the ones you mentioned are: 1. Foster daughter had a budgie, he was the sweetest thing ever, talked, played, but was easy to put back in the cage and would be content there on his own. 2. Lovebird, my experience wasn't like Fluffypoptart's at all, clearly she does something right. I had a handfed blackhead Fisher's that just bit and bit and bit. 3. Cockatiels I am CRAZY about, can't say enough good. Ours (before we gave them away then got them back) used to ride on our shoulders all the time, Torrie still cannot get enough head pets. Spirit doesn't like coming out of the cage now. But when she does she stays with hubby at his desk for 2,3 hours at a time. They are smart and won't bite if you get their signals. 4. Parrotlets, if you get a handfed and handtame one, are an absolute joy. They're way quieter than the tiels. Unfortunately there is one breeder in your area that sells them for a LOT and they're not really tamed, that is where I got Skittles. However the new bird came from a lady who met me at the Wesley Chapel exit. She handtames hers and they are TAME. And they cost a lot less.

Keep visiting birds wherever you can. You'll click with one type eventually. I think it takes a long time to get to know birdie behavior.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@finchly Thank you! :) Who knows how I'd do with an eyering lovie - peachies are reported to be friendlier towards people on the whole.

@Epsilon My mom has a parrotlet (pacific). He's an ornery little fellow and has latched onto my ankle before when he fluttered to the floor! Mom thought it was QUITE funny. :p He's very aggressive, even towards her, but she gets to pet him sometimes. :laughing2: He's a cute little guy. But we met one at the pet store during a grooming visit and he was an angel (spectacled parrotlet).

In my experience with parakeets/budgies, I've found that they're not very interested in hanging with people and don't seem to bond strongly to humans. I know there are exceptions, but that has been my overall experience with them.

In the end, it all depends on what kind of relationship you want with a birdy companion. Good luck with school, and it's great that you're so disciplined! That will aide you in your upcoming career of birdy servitude. ;)

Last edited:

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
Honestly my plan when I'm ready is to go to a few pet stores or a breeder, and find a bird that just clicks with me. The bond I'll have with it is very important. I'm going over to the pet store again today to get more horned caterpillars for my gecko, I'll take some pictures to the budgie.