• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Choosing a bird food!

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Hi,
I need help choosing a bird food for my two budgies. They are currently on the seeds that petsmart had reccomneded me to, but I know that it isn't healthy. I am aware of the tops pellets, Harrison’s pellets, and Lafebers pellets, but it’s too expensive for my budget. In fact, the Harrison’s pellets are $72 for a 2 pound bag!!!!! For now, I will stick to a seed and pellet mix until I find one of the pellets listed above. After some research, I’ve read that many bird owners feed their birds living worlds premium, kayatee Forti-diet, and Zupreem. All of these have pellets mixed inside and different grains, seeds, etc. Btw my budgies do get veggie chop that incorporates a variety of vegetables, legumes, and cooked grains. So they are definitely not on an all seed diet. They have fruit occasionally. Please let me know ASAP on what you think is the healthiest choice. Thanks!

Jisoo

i dont like kaytee, espicially the rainbow ones. zupreem is a good one, but i wouldn't use the flavored ones. just the natural. have you tried roudybush?

Jisoo

your diet is looking great so far, just switch the seeds with pellets and you'll be ok

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
i dont like kaytee, espicially the rainbow ones. zupreem is a good one, but i wouldn't use the flavored ones. just the natural. have you tried roudybush?
roudybrush isn’t in any of the pet stores near me or online. So frustrating!!!

Last edited:

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
your diet is looking great so far, just switch the seeds with pellets and you'll be ok
Yes, do you know any other pellets that might me at a reasonable price. What do you use?

Jisoo

i use roudybush its about $17 for a 44 ounce bag in the us.

Jisoo

i've tried zupreem before, and its about $15 for a 2lb bag or a 2.5 lbs bag. i forgot

Jisoo

@mizzley has a great pellets for parrots and you can google the price

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Jisoo

sorry i can't see mizzley's list of pellets. can you repost it?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
The best pellet is gonna be what you can get your bird to try, but any pellet is better than none. Don’t beat yourself up if your guys don’t take to or you can’t access Harrison’s or Roudybush.

Try to go for something without artificial colors, I’ve had success swapping all-seed diet’s to Fruity Zupreem first & then to the preferable Naturals.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
The best pellet is gonna be what you can get your bird to try, but any pellet is better than none. Don’t beat yourself up if your guys don’t take to or you can’t access Harrison’s or Roudybush.

Try to go for something without artificial colors, I’ve had success swapping all-seed diet’s to Fruity Zupreem first & then to the preferable Naturals.
Finding pellets is nearly impossible in stores. It’s always seeds! Online stores are okay but are always out of stock! Can someone give me a website where’s I can buy some bird pellets?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Finding pellets is nearly impossible in stores. It’s always seeds! Online stores are okay but are always out of stock! Can someone give me a website where’s I can buy some bird pellets?
Which country are you in? Different countries have different online shops.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is this what you recommend?
This is a link to their various seed and pellet products for budgies. You can look through the products and see if they have anything you want.
I don't have budgies but I do purchase products from Chewy and am satisfied with their service and support.
I know that Caitec now makes an extra small bird formula in their Oven Fresh Bites line but Chewy doesn't sell the Caitec products.
You can purchase directly from Caitec. I do use the Caitec Oven Fresh Bites for my 'tiels and larger birds.