• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Choking?

mle

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi friends!

I’m new to the forum so nice to meet you all! It’s been about 5 months since I got my lovebird Peaches who is now 8 months old. From her avian annual checkup she’s apparently in good health.
But today she nearly gave me a heart attack. I had just given her a small bulb of millet in her cage and I accidentally bumped the cage while she was eating it and she froze. Her eyes started to close and she was open beak breathing. I instantly thought she was choking on the millet or that a piece was lodged in her nostril. I didn’t know what to do so I opened the cage door. She didn’t move and I began to get really worried. She made a sneezing noise once and then a loud click noise and after that noise she continued eating her millet. I closed the cage door and observed her for awhile. She bounced back to her normal self and was flying around the house shortly after as if nothing had happened. I never saw the piece she was potentially choking on (I guess she swallowed it?). I was ready to rush to the vet but she recovered so fast that I just observed her closely for the rest of the day.

I guess my question is first does that sound like choking? I’m worried she has a respiratory problem now though I don’t see any symptoms other than that incident. And second is there anything I can do to help if it happens again? Is it avoidable?

thanks a bunch!!
Mle

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad she's okay. I will tag some people.

@Zara ? @Mizzely ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It does sound like she choked; I imagine you wouldn't want to bump the cage during feeding is all :) I don't honestly know the protocol for a choking bird!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

I´m glad your bird is ok!! Very cute hybrid btw :)

I agree that it was likely choking. I once took a photo of my youngest eating millet on my hand, I turned on the LED to capture his plummage and he froze, seed in beak. He just got spooked but there was no noises or open beaked breathing like your bird was. That´s what makes me think it was choking and not just a shock. I also do not know what to do with a choking bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt has choked a few times and I’ve always found he’s sorted it out himself within a short time. It does stress me out to hear him splutter and birdie cough to try to clear it but he usually manages to fix it.