• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Choking? Crop adjusting?

Emi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emilia kargol
Hi everyone!

So i'm kind of scared about my parrot, Leo. He is acting really weird since a few days now. He shakes his head up and down with his beak wide open, and its really scary to watch, because he looks like he's choking!
I've read in the internet that it could be just crop adjusting. But i also watched some videos on youtube about how it looks like but the "crop adjusting" Leo does looks quite different... He doesn't do it too often, but once, a piece of something white came out of his throat! Also when he does it he makes a weird clicking sound

if these informations are needed: leo is on a seed and vegetable diet, im slowly switching him on to top's pellets. all the toys in his cage are bird safe only, when he is outside of the cage i always keep an eye on what he's playing with.

Im kind of concerned, i hope someone knows whats going on!

Here's how it looks like:

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I can’t look at the video right now, but could he be regurgitating?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Spearmint used to do the same when he was younger, we'd do that little hand thing too. From what it looks like, he's likely hormonal and showing you too much love ;). Try discourage this, as it can lead to later issues. Whenever spearmint did it, i'd place him away from me for a little or encourage him to do something else, such as play with a toy, forage in his box, or eat some food. It stopped after about 3 months thankfully and hasn't happened since (well rarely).

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
If I had to guess, that looks like regurgitation.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I could not watch video.
But some crop adjustment is normal. They will open beak , stretch neck , may scratch ear , neck or stick foot in mouth.

Doing this once or twice a day ( about ) is normal. Doing it many times a day indicates crop irritation. I have found often from yeast infection. Two of my parrots did thus when had chlamydia, a bacteria infection. Once in one had a seed husk stuck a little, was able to dislodge on their own, thankfully. Had vet on zoom , trying to balance phone flashlight and pry beak open lol

Normal behavior regurgitate, they often pump neck rapidly a few times then look can look like a cat about to hack. Bring up creamy regurgitate and try to feed a person or favorite object or another bird, or even their feet. Behavior might be triggered after excessive cuddle or back petting. They might play with it in mouth and swallow back down. This is practice feeding behavior, or active feeding of mate, friend, young. More of a hormones or bonding thing. Nothing to worry about.

True vomiting in birds ( never normal, except some that get car sick ) . They shake their heads back and forth and vomit will spray all over. Is usually runny and light tan color, can contain food particulars. Seek veterinarian guidance.

In abnormal regurgitate, its kind of passive. They lean over and open mouth and stuff just falls out. Occasionally may happen if rapidly over ate. But often is a health issue, like yeast, or from nausea dye to health issues or medication. Seek veterinarian guidance.

Ok hope that helps!

Emi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emilia kargol
I could not watch video.
But some crop adjustment is normal. They will open beak , stretch neck , may scratch ear , neck or stick foot in mouth.

Doing this once or twice a day ( about ) is normal. Doing it many times a day indicates crop irritation. I have found often from yeast infection. Two of my parrots did thus when had chlamydia, a bacteria infection. Once in one had a seed husk stuck a little, was able to dislodge on their own, thankfully. Had vet on zoom , trying to balance phone flashlight and pry beak open lol

Normal behavior regurgitate, they often pump neck rapidly a few times then look can look like a cat about to hack. Bring up creamy regurgitate and try to feed a person or favorite object or another bird, or even their feet. Behavior might be triggered after excessive cuddle or back petting. They might play with it in mouth and swallow back down. This is practice feeding behavior, or active feeding of mate, friend, young. More of a hormones or bonding thing. Nothing to worry about.

True vomiting in birds ( never normal, except some that get car sick ) . They shake their heads back and forth and vomit will spray all over. Is usually runny and light tan color, can contain food particulars. Seek veterinarian guidance.

In abnormal regurgitate, its kind of passive. They lean over and open mouth and stuff just falls out. Occasionally may happen if rapidly over ate. But often is a health issue, like yeast, or from nausea dye to health issues or medication. Seek veterinarian guidance.

Ok hope that helps!
Thank you so much! I was really worried he has something stuck in there. :whw:
I think i might be cuddling him too much, i heard it could cause hormonal behavior in parrots later on as they think of us like parteners.

Emi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emilia kargol
Spearmint used to do the same when he was younger, we'd do that little hand thing too. From what it looks like, he's likely hormonal and showing you too much love ;). Try discourage this, as it can lead to later issues. Whenever spearmint did it, i'd place him away from me for a little or encourage him to do something else, such as play with a toy, forage in his box, or eat some food. It stopped after about 3 months thankfully and hasn't happened since (well rarely).
Whew, happy im not the only one to experience this :whw:. Thank you for the reply! I think it's regurgitation, some type of hormonal behavior.