• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chloe got out! (SW Florida)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
My red-fronted macaw macaw, Chloe, got out tonight. She is fully flighted & fly she did. We chased her from tree to tree. I yelled her flight recall cue & she flew over head contact calling but would not come down. It got dark & she flew over tree tops & I could no longer see or hear her.

I'm going out tomorrow to call & look.

Naples, Florida

Missi
239-398-3955

She says "Hi Chloe!" "I love you" "Step up" & mimics a Patagonian conure call.

She is my beautiful little girl & I would like her home safe & sound.

Last edited by a moderator:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OMG Missi....how terrible...I hope you can get her back soon....is her cage outside?

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
oh Missi - I am so sorry

sending positive thoughts and prayers your way

get up before dawn to start looking

:hug8:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I am so sorry , I will say a pray for her:hug8:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I would have maybe the other birds outside at dawn in carriers making their noises and Chloe's cage or playstand out there with food and water.....first thing.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Oh My gosh I am so sorry :hug8: I would also put a cage outside with food in it tonight in case she comes back.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Bummer Missi :(

I hope she turns up soon. Make sure after a day or two (if not sooner) to place a lost ad in you local newspaper (on line too)and distribute flyers all around the neighborhood with a reward offer. Macaws are one of the species with a natural homing instinct built in (so I hear), so the odds are somewhat greater she will come back. I am sure you know most of the tips in trying to get her back, others will be offered soon I'm sure.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
aw, I am so sorry!:( I agree with Leslie, put her cage with food/water outside, plus bring some of your other fids outside in safe carriers, so they can call to Chole also. Praying that she is safe and that you find her tomorrow.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
oh gosh I'm so sorry! I so agree about putting her cage out & get the word out around your neighborhood.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
If it were me, Missi, I would be out before daylight in the general vicinity of where you last saw her. Birds, as you probably know, are not inclined to fly after dark, so she should still be in the area where you last saw her or where you last saw her heading. You will want to walk on foot to look for her and listen very carefully for any sound from her. If she is bonded to any of your other birds, I would take them with you in carriers on the off-chance that they may call and she recognize the sound. If you have any recorded calls of your birds, I would play them so that Chloe might hear them and respond to you.

Can anyone go with you in the morning to help you look for her? The more sets of eyes you have, the better your chances of her being spotted.

Is Chloe skilled in flying downward? This is a skill that a bird must develop and is not something she will know how to do if she's only flown across a room to you. If she is high in a tree but has not practiced flying downward from a high spot, then it is unlikely she will fly down to you. She would either just sit and wait for you to reach her or you may be lucky and she will climb down to you.

If she is particularly jealous of one of your other birds and the attention you give it, I would be sure to take that bird with you in a carrier as you look for Chloe. If you find Chloe but she is too high for you to reach, your lavishing attention on the other bird may be sufficient motivation for Chloe to climb down. And yes, of course, take her favored treats with you to use to entice her.

I would print up flyers tonight offering a reward for her. You may not need them, but you should be prepared in case to disseminate as soon as possible. You will want to post flyers in vet offices, pet stores (because anyone who may have gotten to her ahead of you would likely go to a pet shop for food), and your local grocery stores.

She is not far, Missi. Keep your chin up and think optimistically. Best to keep a cool head and develop a plan for her recovery.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh Missi, I am so sorry to hear this and I am praying very hard that she will come home to you. I would also get out there before before dawn, before all the outside birds start chirping in the morning. I'd have as many people as I could get to help me. I'd set up her cage or any cage with her favorite treats and toys. I'd bring as many of her flock outside in cages or carriers as well. They should help you with their morning calls. Print flyers and put them everywhere. Go door to door to neighbors and let them know, kids are great at helping and spotting birds. If you find her up high in a tree, to high to climb to her, you could try knocking her down with water in a hose. It's harder for wet birds to fly. Good luck. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh no! :( I hope she returns to you safe and sound, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers! :hug8:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh dear, I am so sorry Missi! Everyone gave good advice. I would get out there as early as possible tomorrow and start calling. I will notify others I know in the Florida area. Good luck sweetheart and don't give up.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Praying you get her back.:hug8:

Macawlvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
James / Krames
If it were me, Missi, I would be out before daylight in the general vicinity of where you last saw her. Birds, as you probably know, are not inclined to fly after dark, so she should still be in the area where you last saw her or where you last saw her heading. You will want to walk on foot to look for her and listen very carefully for any sound from her. If she is bonded to any of your other birds, I would take them with you in carriers on the off-chance that they may call and she recognize the sound. If you have any recorded calls of your birds, I would play them so that Chloe might hear them and respond to you.

Can anyone go with you in the morning to help you look for her? The more sets of eyes you have, the better your chances of her being spotted.

Is Chloe skilled in flying downward? This is a skill that a bird must develop and is not something she will know how to do if she's only flown across a room to you. If she is high in a tree but has not practiced flying downward from a high spot, then it is unlikely she will fly down to you. She would either just sit and wait for you to reach her or you may be lucky and she will climb down to you.

If she is particularly jealous of one of your other birds and the attention you give it, I would be sure to take that bird with you in a carrier as you look for Chloe. If you find Chloe but she is too high for you to reach, your lavishing attention on the other bird may be sufficient motivation for Chloe to climb down. And yes, of course, take her favored treats with you to use to entice her.

I would print up flyers tonight offering a reward for her. You may not need them, but you should be prepared in case to disseminate as soon as possible. You will want to post flyers in vet offices, pet stores (because anyone who may have gotten to her ahead of you would likely go to a pet shop for food), and your local grocery stores.

She is not far, Missi. Keep your chin up and think optimistically. Best to keep a cool head and develop a plan for her recovery.
I wanted to repeat Kelly's wise and experienced advice, it was very thorough covering all aspects.

From my experience, be out there at daybreak and if you have a bird that will 'flock call', that is by far your best chance of finding her as she flock calls back.
I have a recording of mine flock calling just for a emergency situation like this.

It is doubtful that she will fly back home as they get confused about directions when they fly off.

If you don't find her by noon, plaster everything within two miles with posters with a LARGE PICTURE of her on it. It is the "picture" that will get people's attention. I had 8X10 sized pictures with neon colored paper around the picture to get attention. I had mine on stakes where I could put them right by the road where people could see them while driving. Near a stop sign or as they would be coming out of a store, any high traffic area.

Good luck and 'never ever' give up. I got my beloved GW macaw Boo back after 34 days...and my ruby macaw Kalley after 23 days.

Micki

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Micki
I know how heart-wrenching and upset you must be. I hope and pray you will find your faby all safe and sound. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh no Missi,

I am right here in Naples, tell me what I can do.

Ginger

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Great advice folks!

I really hope we're hearing good news soon Missi, thinking of you both. :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
OMG no Missi!!!!:sad2: Excellent advice from everyone. Please let us know as soon as you can, that you have found her. I am going to keep sending positive energy for her return until you do.:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
praying that she finds her way home soon dear!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.