• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chitter chattering all night

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Usually, outside of a few random chirps, they are silent through the heart of night So if they go to bed at 8pm, by 10pm they are silent even through me coming home late from work and loud noises in the surrounding areas. Even through my senior cats demonic cries to be let it and out. Since the hormonal season has started, I’ve been noticing that they chirp all through the night. They are sensitive to the outside noises much more so than ever. They are very reactive now whereas before, they could just ignore it. They start at like 2AM and continue to be restless. My cat starts waking up the rest of us around 430-6 (yes, this is quite difficult but not much we can do) so the birds are restless from 2-5ish and then settle back in. By 7AM they are up.

A few things are contributing to this but I worry because I want to be respectful to my neighbors who have young children that go to school. It would honestly be impossible to cut out the noise completely, I could be quieter as I come in but that doesn’t change the foot steps, doors, bathroom, heaters, old cat, wild birds at 3AM, etc. I hate that they aren’t getting to sleep straight through. That is exactly how I sleep and interrupted sparse sleep can really test yourself. They have a cover and a nightlight and I’ve increased the coverage from like 50% to 80%. Don’t know if there is something I could do or I just have to ride it through, but it’s getting tough.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would put in an air purifier or other white noise maker so it makes outside sounds not as noticable.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
By chatter what do you mean odd chirps or normal lovebird day time noises ?

do you have a window open where they can hear wild birds ?

I don’t cover my cages but there room is dark no lights curtain shut from 8/8:30 if I forget to shut curtains moonlight peoples house lights do keep them up they will chatter soon as I close curtains and it’s dark dark they are quiet
I get odd chirps when I go toilet in middle of night but usually silent

could you maybe try without thenight light see if that makes a difference?

could be also be they are in separate cages do they want to sleep together?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
By chatter what do you mean odd chirps or normal lovebird day time noises ?

do you have a window open where they can hear wild birds ?

I don’t cover my cages but there room is dark no lights curtain shut from 8/8:30 if I forget to shut curtains moonlight peoples house lights do keep them up they will chatter soon as I close curtains and it’s dark dark they are quiet
I get odd chirps when I go toilet in middle of night but usually silent

could you maybe try without thenight light see if that makes a difference?

could be also be they are in separate cages do they want to sleep together?
Normal noises but they usually are very quiet and don’t even budge when the door creaks for late night bathroom visits. Now it seems like they are on hyper alert.

The windows have the blinds pulled but we have strange 3AM birds outside. I started to notice them being a bit louder when they heard them, and this started just 1-2 weeks ago.

I started giving them nightlight because i was afraid of night frights and in case they want to get away from each other, they can manage better. I was covering them because of the light bit I can try without

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Normal noises but they usually are very quiet and don’t even budge when the door creaks for late night bathroom visits. Now it seems like they are on hyper alert.

The windows have the blinds pulled but we have strange 3AM birds outside. I started to notice them being a bit louder when they heard them, and this started just 1-2 weeks ago.

I started giving them nightlight because i was afraid of night frights and in case they want to get away from each other, they can manage better. I was covering them because of the light bit I can try without
They could sleep in adjoining but separate cages but I only have one heating panel right now and only one outlet. They do freak out a bit if they can’t reach each other but if that’s what I have to do, I’m sure they can adjuat

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
They could sleep in adjoining but separate cages but I only have one heating panel right now and only one outlet. They do freak out a bit if they can’t reach each other but if that’s what I have to do, I’m sure they can adjuat
I thought they were in separate cages so I thought they maybe calling for each other but if their together it’s not that then

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I thought they were in separate cages so I thought they maybe calling for each other but if their together it’s not that then
No, I just open up two cages and put them together. I open up the doors if feel they need a break from each other but I’ve only ever closed the doors and kept them apart once for 1 hour almost like they were bad kids and needed a time out haha

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
It’s definitely hormonal and I’m willing to wait it out of course butttt I don’t want this to be year round because they really do need their sleep, plus, I don’t want an official complaint. I’m used to this type of sleep but it’s not healthy and everyone needs their rest. They were so good at tuning noises out and now…this