• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chirp hurt himself, again!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So this knuckle-head we all call Chirp has hurt himself yet again!

I'm not sure why or how, but he dropped his longest tail feather. I checked and sure enough, he was bleeding! I pulled out my first aid kit and clean the area with a wet cotton ball. Then INSTEAD of styptic powder (I've learned!), I put on cayenne pepper mixed with flour, and then I wiped that off (I read something about not letting cayenne pepper get in your bird's eyes) and put on a paste of white unbleached all-purpose flour and water. It's stopped bleeding, and I looked and the feather just yanked right out.

So after that excitement, Chirp is in his travel/vet cage so he can't hurt himself. It looks like the false bottom is gonna be going back in his big cage. I know he probably thinks it's a punishment but I just want him to be safe. He has his water bowl and a mash of natural Zupreem pellets, Higgin's herbs and leafy greens, my own homemade seed mix (all organic with no additives!) and water.

Soon I'll redo Chirp's big cage. For now, my IBS has decided to flare-up and I'm suffering. I haven't taken my meds yet so I need to go do that. So yeah.

You were doing so good, Bird Boy! Why'd you have to go get yourself hurt?

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:If its stopped bleeding it should be ok. They do have accidents but Chirp seems to be better at it.
You don;t think he pulled it out?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
:sadhug2:If its stopped bleeding it should be ok. They do have accidents but Chirp seems to be better at it.
You don;t think he pulled it out?
No, he couldn't have. I saw it happen. I was getting him out of his tiny cage (I was having him test the layout) and I gently cupped him against the side and got him cupped with both of my hands. He wiggled his way out of my hands and then next thing I know, Chirp is -1 feather and the rogue feather is on my keyboard.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He may have caught it in the cage or banged himself prior to that & it was loose. A good feather should not just fall out like that.

Anyway its just a feather & if its not bleeding all is well.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor Chip. I'm glad he's okay.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
He may have caught it in the cage or banged himself prior to that & it was loose. A good feather should not just fall out like that.

Anyway its just a feather & if its not bleeding all is well.
Poor Chip. I'm glad he's okay.
Thanks!

I just checked again and it seems to be bleeding again. I pressed some flour on there and I think it stopped. It's really hard to look because Chirp is all wiggly. My dad is up in East Chicago right now, at the cardiologist, but I'm hoping that once he get's out we can call the vet and get Chirp checked out. That is, if they have an avian vet in. I'm hoping they do.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Did it look like all the feather came out?
If you press flour mix on the area do you feel anything sharp sticking out or under skin?

Sorry you are having all these things to deal with.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Did it look like all the feather came out?
If you press flour mix on the area do you feel anything sharp sticking out or under skin?

Sorry you are having all these things to deal with.
First question yes, second question no. I just got ahold of Chirp with a towel and I managed to get a good look. I took some dry flour and pressed it on really well. I think it stopped. I was calm at first but now I'm starting to freak out. I'm hoping Dad gets out of the cardiologist soon, I told him to call me when he gets out.

UPDATE: He called! I told him what's going on. He said he's on his way home, and once he gets back we'll call the vet. So here's to hoping he can get through Chicago's crazy traffic and get home before 6 so we can call the vet before they close.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sorry Chirp hurt himself again!
:hug8:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If he's not bleeding then he is not in immediate danger so relax. I know its hard sometimes but darn stress can't help anything.
Not sure but think if the feather was broken you could feel it under the skin. So its a good sign you can't but you're right if something goes wrong its best to have time to get to a vet then to have it happen in the middle of the night.

Don't know what to tell you but great % of blood feathers that come out fully will be ok.

Can you call the vet & get an idea of the situation? I don;t know how much it bled in the beginning or how much it bled the 2nd time but if it was not alot then it probably is OK but you have to ask the vet. Budgies don;t have alot of blood but if it was just a drop or 2 it should be ok.

Gosh darn Chirp....

:sadhug2:

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Man, some birds just seem prone to hurting themselves ( kinda like us humans ). Hope he is alright, he seems ok.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We just got home from the vet. She said he looks okay, and she said it looks like it stopped and it looks really clean. She told us to keep and eye on him, and she gave us an herb called Yunnan Baiyao and a syringe for stopping bleeding.

So now we're home and Chirp is in his small cage. Tonight's project will be renovating Chirp's flight cage.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
:eek: Least he's OK but gosh he needs a padded cell. :rofl:
I know, right? Dad says we should wrap him in bubble wrap! :lol:

Now I finally have some time to sit down and take care of myself! I haven't eaten all day! I'm so hungry I could eat a horse! :eat:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad he's okay. :)