• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Chirp broke off part of his beak

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I grabbed Chirp to get him his nighttime medicine, and I noticed the very tip of his beak cracked off! I found what I *think* is the beak tip in the cage, so I put it in a ziploc baggie. I also put him in his smaller hospital cage just in case (heavily padded and sparsly decorated)

I took a few pictures to show. There's no bleeding or anything there, does it warrant an ER trip? For reference, the ER is 1.5 hours away. I don't think there's really anything they could do for him there, since there's no bleeding. Otherwise, we will call the vet first thing in the morning (they open at 8am).

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I’m so sorry little chirp and you are going through this. My personal experience with my macaw having a massive beak injury was that so long as food is able to be eaten (even if just mash) and water can be swallowed it can wait until morning. My vet did recommend removing any hard toys or rope that could potentially hurt the beak or get caught on it. It sounds like you’ve already done that and the new cage being padded is exactly what I did for my guy too, so I think chirp should be ok to settle down for sleep and see the vet first thing in the morning.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don’t think you need to panic if it’s not bleeding or bothering him but given the issues he’s been having I’m not totally positive. I think what you’ve done is the best at the moment and unless he’s bleeding or distressed/pained I would leave it till the morning as long as he’s eating and drinking ok.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Thanks guys. I will keep checking in on him until I go to bed in a few hours. I doubt there would be much they could do anyway at the ER. If I were to leave now (half past midnight) I wouldn't get there until 2am! Sure glad I don't need to do that. I will let you all know what the vet says in the morning.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think your gut is correct and waiting until morning is best in this situation. :hug8:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also agree this isn't an emergency, BUT when you call tomorrow, you might ask whether they can use the broken piece to do any diagnostics they were unable to do before without anesthesia.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Darn it, but agree with the others, wait until morning. I know that you are stressing out, but remember calm you calm Chirp. Please keep us in the loop. WD strikes again.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So we called the vet as soon as they opened, at 8am. The receptionist said she was with a patient, so she took a message for us and told us the vet would call back.

She called us about 10:30, she says that since he isn't bleeding and he can still eat that we don't need to come in today. We have an appointment on Friday, so we'll just come in then. I also told her I have the beak tip, and I will bring it with.

We talked about some other stuff too but I will put that in the main thread. Thank you everyone for the help.