• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

chipped beak!

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
i have gone through many of the posts all over the forum on this topic and it has helped calm my nerves slightly but i thought id ask before i rush to an animal hospital over reacting. I have a 1 year old hahns male who is very active as im sure many of you know and chews everything. today I noticed two chips in his lower beak while taking a bath. he is not bleeding and doesnt look like he ever was. he has been eating but i have noticed for about 2 days now the dish was less empty than usual hes been leaving behind the bigger pieces but still eating, also has been eating his veggies. I weigh him and my senegal monthly and this month he has gained roughly 4 grams at 164g. here are pics of his beak normal side and chipped side marked any and all opinions appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Doesn't look bad at all. He just chipped it on something and probably doesn't effect him at all. If you have a Dremel and don't care a lot about your fingers you could buff it a bit smoother. Personally, I need all 10 fingers. If he chews his toys a lot, it will smooth out before long.

Welcome to AA.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
If he drops any weight I'd take him to your vet and let them smooth it out. You don't want any cracks going down into his "gums" cuz that will be a much bigger and more painful problem.

He's a little cutie pie!!!

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
thank you for giving me some peace of mind very much appreciated. im going to give him softer foods while it grows back just in case. it cracking further down is what worried me about it, i will cross my fingers and continue to monitor him.