• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chip loves feet D:

ItsGavin_

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gavin
Hey!

Long time lurker, first time poster here :)

Chip, my grey cockatiel has grown quite an attachment to my feet, particularly when I am wearing socks, however, it doesn't stop at that. When he goes close to my feet, he sings and kisses, but sometimes bites them. I try to move him away from my feet whenever he goes close, but the last few days, when I do move him, he becomes very aggressive - flying at my face, biting my hand and fingers when I try to put him in his cage, flying away when I try to put him in his cage.

Its becoming very upsetting, because I don't feel like I can have him out anymore because of Chips growing aggression :(

Does anyone have any tips on how I can combat this?

Thanks in advance! :)

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Are these always the same sort of socks?
if so, try switching fabric, color, etc etc :) see if that helps!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Maybe try wearing slippers?

ItsGavin_

Real Name
Gavin
Maybe try wearing slippers?
It started with slippers, then I changed to wearing socks to see if that helped - it did for a while, then it ended up the same :/

Are these always the same sort of socks?
if so, try switching fabric, color, etc etc :) see if that helps!
I've worn different types and he doesn't seem to discriminate :roflmao:

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
Let me ask a few questions to see if we can get an understanding of Chip’s behavior:

how old is Chip?

is Chip the only bird?

has Chip shown any obsessive behavior towards any other objects?

Reactions: mak

ItsGavin_

Real Name
Gavin
Let me ask a few questions to see if we can get an understanding of Chip’s behavior:

how old is Chip?

is Chip the only bird?

has Chip shown any obsessive behavior towards any other objects?
Chip is about 3 years old now and he is the only bird in the house.

He does show a keen interest in other 'cloth' items - tea towels, gets very excited when we are hanging the clothes on the line, however, he never really gets too aggressive as he does with socks/feet

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

He does show a keen interest in other 'cloth' items - tea towels, gets very excited when we are hanging the clothes on the line, however, he never really gets too aggressive as he does with socks/feet
How about wearing sandals or crocs at home? If it's cold you could wear socks underneath sandals.

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard

It might be a good idea to perhaps get another Tiel (gender shouldn. When they are by themselves they can develop obsessive behavior towards object (usually a mirror) but in your case, he likes feet. Lol.

How about wearing sandals or crocs at home? If it's cold you could wear socks underneath sandals.
That is actually a really good idea. But we would need another object to be the source of Chip’s affection.

ItsGavin_

Real Name
Gavin
This is a good idea! I'll try it out and see what happens! Thank you!

It might be a good idea to perhaps get another Tiel (gender shouldn. When they are by themselves they can develop obsessive behavior towards object (usually a mirror) but in your case, he likes feet. Lol.
As much as I would love another, I'm not sure if my partner would allow it :rofl:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
This is a good idea! I'll try it out and see what happens! Thank you!

As much as I would love another, I'm not sure if my partner would allow it :rofl:
Dump the partner. No one needs such negativity in their lives.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Hehehe well it was sarcasm obviously ;-) but it made myself smile too.. how bad is that huh

Azeraths

Real Name
Erika
Hello ! Although I do not have a solution, my cockatiel does this too , its actually quite common from what I've read. I either wait it out until he gets tired, or remove my feet from his view for a while until he goes away and forgets about it and moves on.