• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chinese finger traps

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Finger traps seem to be a popular part of many toys/foraging set ups. I can't find any here in China and nobody knows what they are. I am wondering what is it specifically that makes them popular... what characteristics do they have that make them appealing? Bamboo seems a common material in their construction and i could probably aource aome. Bird-safe glue is something i will need to look into.

:)C&B

Walking the driveway
Hi, you can use paper and flour glue to make your own finger traps. Below is a tutorial from YouTube and for flour glue, mix flour and water in the proportion of 3:1
Good luck
(These are ones I made IMG_20220727_072336_HDR.jpg IMG_20220727_072358_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Hi, you can use paper and flour glue to make your own finger traps. Below is a tutorial from YouTube and for flour glue, mix flour and water in the proportion of 3:1
Good luck
(These are ones I made View attachment 411021 View attachment 411020
Thank you for the information. I will try to find somewhere else to learn how to make it... YouTube is blocked in China. Why do birds/bird owners like finger traps as toys?

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
I very much appreciate the links... I am interested in the WHY more than the HOW... I'm wondering what the appeal is. What is it that makes them suitable for/appealing to birds, as opposed to just a paper straw, for example?

:)C&B

Walking the driveway
Treat can be stuffed in with crinkle paper and bird spend a lot of time shredding it to piece. Also it keeps your bird busy.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
Treat can be stuffed in with crinkle paper and bird spend a lot of time shredding it to piece. Also it keeps your bird busy.
Yes i understand it's engaging but a paper straw can also be stuffed with a treat and paper. It's a little fiddley to make thus i am interested to know how it differs from a paper straw, also a cyclindrical object made from paper that can be stuffed with things...

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I think mine like the crunchiness and carrying them around. I actually dont often put anything inside I just give as is or as apart of a toy.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
I think mine like the crunchiness and carrying them around. I actually dont often put anything inside I just give as is or as apart of a toy.
Cool... if texture is an important element then maybe bamboo might be a better choice than paper. Cheers!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They are made of palm leaf I’m pretty sure.
I once made paper ones for Burt and he was not impressed- they must be the palm leaf ones for him. They are a really awesome texture and move in a fun fiddly way, they crack and break in a very satisfying manner.
My budgie loves them and Burt will fiddle with them for ages sometimes.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Palm leaf and thin bamboo both have a crunchy texture that is different from paper. In the US they can be bought very cheaply so it's a good filler for toys. Plus they can be stuffed with treats and shredded paper.

They are also wider than a paper straw, so larger treats can be put inside it.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
They are made of palm leaf I’m pretty sure.
I once made paper ones for Burt and he was not impressed- they must be the palm leaf ones for him. They are a really awesome texture and move in a fun fiddly way, they crack and break in a very satisfying manner.
My budgie loves them and Burt will fiddle with them for ages sometimes.
Thanks! Sounds great. I can't find palm leaf but are bamboo strips ok for their construction? Would flour glue hold them together? I have to be really careful buying toys here as most of them have unidentifiable dyes or small unsafe parts. I'm trying to go the DIY route as much as possible so i can verify the safety of every single component. I bought balsa wood and put squares of it with cardboard on skewers (the ones used for bird toys)... very happy to see one of my boys make immediate and enthusiastic use of that. Also filled a dixie cup (unwaxed) with millet seeds in wraps of tissue. Another of my boys (still in quarantine) prefers shredding unbleached toilet paper (which is also on a skewer). I would like to find or make some boings next. Maybe will just try to import those.