• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chili powder in bean mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
is that safe for the birds toeat?
I'm thinking of trying this

osCommerce

Another flavor they blend lists onions as an ingredient :eek:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
What about this green superfoods cereal?

osCommerce

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
I almost bought the green foods treat a week or two- it looks great!

Not sure what the official answer would be about the other, but I would think if onion powder is in the mix, it is probably in such minute amounts as to be negligible....?

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saroj ..

I add chili powder to several of my mashes, I don't think chili power is an issue. As far as onions, I haven't heard they're "bad", just not something to give a lot of, I'm sure as a flavoring it wouldn't be bad.

The superfood cereal looks great, my only concern, and this is just something I've read .. is that Hemp can "bump up" hormones. I don't know if it's true or not, or even proven. I read an article about it a while ago, and several people made a point of avoid seed mixes/sprout mixes with hemp as they felt it ramped up hormones .. who knows???

Great looking stuff on that site, I need to snope around it a bit more.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
check out their ParrotIsland handmade acrylic treaure chests! Getting one to see if it is safe unsupervised....:D

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Those look great. I think that if it is in small amounts the onion powder shouldn't cause an issue.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Those treasure chest are awesome!! Ouchie on the prices, but acrylic is pricey so I get it.

I remember seeing little drawer units like that at Ikea, made from wood though .. might have to go back and check them out .. see if they're untreated or not.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Chili powder is fine and a little onion here and there won't kill them but I'd stay away from it when possible.

The cereal mix is actually from Nuts On Line I believe and you can get a better price for it there...although it's still fairly pricey.

As for hemp causing hormonal issues, could be...high protein has been known to do that. Hemp in small amounts is good for them though. If you don't have Ekkies or a bird who goes crazy after eating a few nuts (Reggie D2), you shouldn't have a problem.

All thumbs up for the acrylic boxes as well but I can tell you that they do not do well with the bigger birds. Reggie had one that got eaten by an M2 at a rescue...long story. That was the little four drawer one, I know they do advertise ones for bigger birds and I've never tried those. I bought one of the plastic ones just recently with the four drawers. Not bad but not as nice as those acrylic ones. Clancy CAG eventually losened the back that held it to the cage. I haven't tried to mount it again since.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
All thumbs up for the acrylic boxes as well but I can tell you that they do not do well with the bigger birds. Reggie had one that got eaten by an M2 at a rescue...long story. That was the little four drawer one, I know they do advertise ones for bigger birds and I've never tried those. I bought one of the plastic ones just recently with the four drawers. Not bad but not as nice as those acrylic ones. Clancy CAG eventually losened the back that held it to the cage. I haven't tried to mount it again since.
Yes, they make a specific macaw/cockatoo one that is much heavier duty and comes with SS bolts :)

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
i read in a bird book onions are toxic if i can find where i put the book i will try and post what they said about it

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Parrot Island sells very good stuff. I love their acrylic chests but they are a bit too expensive for me. :p
Also, I've gotten their bean mix in the past. The birds loved it. :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
i read in a bird book onions are toxic if i can find where i put the book i will try and post what they said about it
Yes, they can cause anemia and the creation of Heinz-bodies which can rupture but it's all relavent. A little onion here and there certainly won't hurt them, but I wouldn't go out and feed onion in every dinner I give them. I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that if it's in a bird food it's probably in such a small quantity that it isn't going to hurt them.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
response from parrotisland

Saroj,
Great question - currently there is no consensus among members of the Association of Avian Veterinarians.
Those that think it might be harmful [by affecting hemoglobin) believe it would take large amounts fed regularly to have any adverse effect. The worry actually came from dog or cat owners who were hedging it daily as part of a fresh diet.
It is on our Veggies/Bean mix as it comes as part of one of the organic mixtures I use - it is less than 1% of that mix - and that mix is only 1/10 th of the total mixture.
I certainly would not push you to use it as it is never bad to play it safe - but I would like to mention that we never sell or recommend anything that we do not use with our own beloved companion birds. I have used this mix as part of their diet for about 21 years now.
Thank you for taking the time to contact me.
Terry Beaudoin

Status
Not open for further replies.