• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chicken Roll Call!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I have 36 chickens total. You know bird math works lol. We have Rhode Island Reds, black sex link , White Leghorn , Americana's ,Olive Eggers Barnyard mix. Ill take some pictures an post them soon

That's a whole lot of chicken. :D
Black sex link? I've had buff.

BirdWorld

I actually forgot to post my breeds. Kiki Koko and Kuckoo are Plymouth Rocks, Aster and Luna are Spangled Hamburgs, and Ginger, Cinnamon and Pumpkin are/were Rhode Island Reds.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
According to where we got them they are a cross between . Rhode Island red and Plymouth Rock chicken. The sex link means they can tell as chicks a Pullet from a Roo
Ours were buff cross white Sussex. White chicks are roos and brown are hens

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
All of my pictures of past chickens are on a different device. I will try and get my dad to give me his computer for a few minutes so I can post them here. @BirdWorld, how on earth do you tell Kiki, Koko, and Kuckoo apart??

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Oh, it's not that. I didn't name these ones so I often forget what they ended up being called. I am thinking the other hen is Anna...
Hehe, my dad understands that! When I had chickens he could never remember their names or tell them apart or remember anything about them. Just the other day, we were talking about my absolute favorite rooster ever, and he asked "Did we eat him?", as if I would let them eat my favorite chicken! :rofl: He did, however, remember the names of the two chickens whose names we're changed by him against my will.

BirdWorld

The only reason I can tell Kiki and Koko apart in the picture was because I noted who was who when I took it. Also, I chose to name Kuckoo that because she is larger then the other two so I figured it was fit that she deserved a longer name :)

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Steve rooster picture.jpg
^This is Steve, a rooster. He was the sweetest, most friendly rooster(or hen!) that I ever owned. He died of a disease on November 5, 2018. I miss him so much. Where I lived at the time that I had chickens, there weren't really "breeds" of chickens. There was one chicken breed, designed to be for meat, and then everything else is just a chicken mutt.
IMG_2046.JPG
^This is Stripe, a hen. She had a nice personality. She would only come up to me when I had food, and wouldn't let me walk right up to her without food, but she was a nice mixture of handleability and independence. She might have been the oldest chicken I ever owned, at almost 3 years old when I gave her away.
IMG_2043.JPG
^The hen in this picture is Bumblebee, and the chicks next to her on the perch all had names, but that would be a lot(she had 13 chicks!) to say. The chicks in the background, outside of the run, were not mine.
IMG_1897.JPG
^Another picture of Bumblebee & Co., but this time the chicks are like a week old.
IMG_0920.JPG
^Two hens, Whithen on the left and Redhen on the right. They were always together when I had both. These are the meat chicken breed that I mentioned earlier in this post. Their names have a hilarious origin. When I first got them, Redhen had red "earlobes", and Whitehen had whitish "earlobes". Until I could find better names, I nicknamed them "Red Earlobed Hen" and "White Earlobed Hen". I shortened it to Redhen and Whitehen, and I never changed their names. They were sooooooooo friendly. Redhen I gifted to someone else, and Whitehen I gave away when we moved. Whitehen was by far my favorite hen ever, and she has a sort of sad story. My parents were coming home from shopping, so I went out onto the porch to greet them. Then I saw her, next to the porch, with blood all over her face and neck. There was a very shallow, but wide gash on the back of her neck, and her face was bleeding, too. BTW, where I lived there was no vet that would take chickens(for that matter, there may not have even been a vet). So. We cleaned her up with wet rags and iodine, superglued her neck wound shut, and used a bit of string tied to a few feathers to hold the wound shut long enough for the superglue to dry. I didn't think she was going to make it.... but she did! She was blind in one eye, but she was alive. From then on, she was NOT free-ranged, except under my supervision. She was my heart-chicken. I am almost crying typing this.
IMG_2050.JPG
^This is the most recent picture of Whitehen that I have. The eye on the left is her blind eye.

I don't have any pictures, but my first hen, Redfeather, was gifted to me on the Christmas of 2017.

I had at least 20 other chickens, but none of them were nearly as important to me as these, and I didn't have them for nearly as long.

Attachments

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Oh, and also, I did not clip Whitehen and Redhen's beaks, they were already clipped when I got them.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Why are their beaks clipped anyway?
They were bred and sold to be meat chickens, but before they are sold they are kept in very small spaces. I think where I got them from had about 80 chickens in like a 25x6 foot coop(no outside run). They clipped their beaks so they wouldn't mutilate each other.

BirdWorld

They were bred and sold to be meat chickens, but before they are sold they are kept in very small spaces. I think where I got them from had about 80 chickens in like a 25x6 foot coop(no outside run). They clipped their beaks so they wouldn't mutilate each other.
Oh. Two of mine seem to have heir beaks clipped, and I’ve been wondering why. I did adopt them from a farm, and they looked quite awful when I got them, lots of feathers missing because the roosters there attacked them.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Oh. Two of mine seem to have heir beaks clipped, and I’ve been wondering why. I did adopt them from a farm, and they looked quite awful when I got them, lots of feathers missing because the roosters there attacked them.
Ginger and Cinnamon? Are they ex-battery hens, or do you mean just a normal farm? I've wondered if Redhen and Whitehen were ex-batteries or not.