• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

chicken on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.

turacan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hm
had a pair of chickens but sadly male died , will the hen be ok on it's own?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would get at least two or three other hens to keep her company. Then you can eat the eggs without worry of them being fertilized. I wouldn't keep one hen by herself, as they need their flock to feel secure and defend predators.:hug8:
I am so sorry that the rooster died, may he RIP.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am sorry to hear about your rooster - I agree with Carole that you should get a couple more hens - depending on your space and the breed/size - 2 to 3 is a good number

they will all be 'new' and shouldn't pick on the existing hen that way

when adding to an existing flock, I always try to add 2 - 3 at a time instead of just one, because the new one invariably is picked on :(

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
my mom had 4 chickens, 2 of them were stolen, and the 3rd died shortly after. that left the one hen left. my mom had her as a single chicken for 2 years or more until she died of old age. that chicken seemed really happy. she had free range of the whole yard, and my mom really loved her. the chicken would run to the back door when she heard it open to spend time with my mom. my mom also spent a lot of time outside doing yard work, while the chicken helped. ;)

turacan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
hm
hi , thanks for the replies.i have just one hen in this enclosure i was thinking of putting a couple more hens ( 2 ) same breed (bantam) , and a cockerel. what sized coop will i need for them to roost in. by the way they will be released every morning in a very large aviary.right now i have a 1.3m wide 80cm long 90cm high coop , just for sleeping and laying. would this be too small for 3 hens and cockerel? if so how many do you thing i would be able to fit in there?
thanks.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for the loss of your male.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.