• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chicken Litter/Bedding

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
That is a bit of a tricky question. Clearly their roosting area can be smaller, I used to have 6 next boxes for my 3 hens, but they never even used one side so we removed some and now have 3 nest boxes. In the winter all 3 cuddle into a single box, they are very close knit group! During the day when they are active, they need as much space as you can give. I have a 18 sqm run which is a full height space (3 chickens and 3 ducks), and there is room so the birds can get away from the group and relax alone if they so choose. I still feel that 18 sqm is not enough, they get to free range the yard for a few hours. They get bored in the run and look forward to their time out. I am not sure what the best minimum is, most of the literature on that is the absolute minimum for efficient eggs / broiler production. Clearly those are not appropriate for lifelong healthy thriving birds. My partner and I don't need many eggs. We keep a small flock so that we know each bird can receive medical care. 6 birds needing the vet is far less than 30, if you know what I mean.

I say what is the most you can give. Try and give them that, or keep fewer birds.

You may enjoy this article: Thinking chickens: a review of cognition, emotion, and behavior in the domestic chicken
That is a way more specific answer than mine was, :glowlol:

FeatherMan

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
Over-crowding can cause so many problems. Which brings me to a question I wanted to ask. How much space per chicken do you suggest?
I agree, this is a tough one! There are just SO many variables, from the size of the actual chickens to how much time they will spend in the coop, to the area you live in. (I’ve found chickens need more space in very hot climates like the one I live in. We sometimes have weeks over 100F here in Texas during the summer, and on top of great ventilation, the chickens also need to be able to spread out.)

A good rule of thumb is 4 square feet per full size chicken (or 2.5 square feet per bantam) in the coop with 8 square feet per chicken in the run (that’s minimum for the run). But if they free range all day, the coop can be a bit smaller. If the run is smaller, the coop should be bigger. But really you should go as big as you can.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
A good rule of thumb is 4 square feet per full size chicken (or 2.5 square feet per bantam) in the coop with 8 square feet per chicken in the run (that’s minimum for the run).
What would this be in meters?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Very good share! Thank you :)