• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chicken in incubator and trip

Bunchobird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mali
Hello,

I know what your thinking, why would you put eggs in the incubator if they are set to hatch when you are set to go on a trip? Well, I put them in for my neighbor, and we both are going out of town when the eggs are set to hatch, which is wendsday. Nobody around me can come and pick them up once they hatch. So I have a few questions..

1) can I put Food and water in the incubator tommorow morning until Friday?
2) can they stay in the incubator for 2-3 days after hatching safely?
3) Any tips on how to make this work??
4) will they starve if I don't put in food, I heard they absorb their yolk?
5) will they overheat at 37.4 celcius?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
These are lives you are responsible for- I suggest you do the responsible thing and postpone your trip..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you talk your vet about any pet sitting services or a vet tech who can help out??

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to arrange some kind of knowledgeable care for them. Either you need to see if your vet knows a vet nurse, vet tech or experienced sitter who can care for them, or your neighbour needs to cancel their trip, or you need to cancel your trip.

Too much can go wrong, from a chick being unable to get out of the shell to the incubator breaking down. 37.4 C is too hot to be a constant temperature - they need an area that's cooler so that they can regulate their temperature. Keeping them in a hot brooder is not a safe option.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
I unfortunately cannot postpone the trip @Shezbug. It is a Church event, and my parents have spent $6000 on this and it would be non-refundable. Also sorry to say this, I love love loveee animals, but $6000 trip or 3 chickens, i am going to have to go with the trip.... Also not to mention that they arenty even my chickens when they grow up..

I don't have a vet for chickens, and the chicks are in lockdown. Also my parents said nobody that we do not know will be allowed in the house.

I really wish I would Have looked ahead at this, this was a easily preventable problem... all I had to do was not put the eggs in the incubator for 3 more days, put them in earlier or not put them in at all... UGH! so frustrating...

I am stuck.. I really am..

do you think I could put them in the brooder already?

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Do you or your family members have any friends you could ask to take them for those days? The forum could help you make a clear, simple list for care and it shouldn't be too big of a deal. You could even offer to pay for their time and help, or do some chores to return the favour.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's Gonna be a miracle I think!!!! 2/3 have JUST pipped!! I knew I heard something!
:(
That´s not what I´d call a miracle.

I´m sorry but you must make arrangements for these lives so that someone is actually there to care for them while you are away or cancel your trip. Others suggested talking to your vet, have you done that? They may have ideas on who to call.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
They are supposed to hatch while I am gone, If they are already hatched, I can give them to my vet, they said yes to taking chicks but not to eggs

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They are supposed to hatch while I am gon
I find it hard to believe you all booked an expensive trip last minute. You must have known about the trip before incubating the eggs, so why do that? I´m sorry, I just don´t think I agree with your practices. I am reluctant to think any minors or folks who rely on their parents to make big decisions and have no independence should be breeding in the first place. I know sometimes it works (when the parents are fully commited) but most of the time it´s just a whole mess and there are innocent lives caught up in the middle.
Just my :2cents:

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
I didn't book it last minute, been planned for 4 months, I also could have taken the time to look in my calender. I do agree innocent lives are being caught up in the mess of my busy life, and im probably not hatching again without a full planned date. I went a little wild this year on eggs and did more than I could take care of. But I am where I am and I am reaching out for help.

• Sad
Reactions: tka

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m really grossed out about the irresponsible and selfish attitude here and omg that comment regarding money or 3 chicks lives.

I find this whole situation and mindset terribly disturbing and absolutely disgusting.

Church event over innocent beings lives (that are only coming about because if your actions in the first place) totally gross behaviour and thinking. Such horrible lack of judgement, responsibility and maturity.

I’m putting this thread on ignore before I say something worse than I already have. I am horrified at this whole situation (yet again)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think any human has any business hatching out eggs that they know that they cannot care for. You seriously can't check a calendar or didn't have a hunch that the church event and the hatchdate might coincide? You can't tell your neighbour "no"?

You've been told how you can help this screw-up:

1) Cancel your holiday
2) Tell your neighbour to cancel their holiday
3) Contact your vet and pray that they can put you in contact with someone who is knowledgeable about incubation, the hatching process and newly hatched chicks, and who is willing to assume the responsibility. You will probably have to pay money for this.

And personally I don't think you have any business incubating further eggs when you've shown so many times that you lack foresight. It's happened here, it's happened with a migratory species that you know you cannot keep but still decided to try to hatch out, it's happened with a budgie egg that you decided to take home... Just, please, stop.

Jogging around the block
Putting any price tag on a living beings life is wrong. If you are keeping the chicks or not doesn't make a difference to the fact that these are helpless animals completely dependent on you to care for them.
What if they need assistance hatching? Become unwell and need nursing back to health? A power outage? Just to name a few..
You need to have someone at the house to care for the chicks, even someone who knows nothing about birds is better than no one, as long as you have contact with them to tell them how to care for the chicks.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
Ok guys, I would like to apologize for being inconsiderate about the chicks.

I was able to get my mom to hire a certified avian vet (partly for Bluberry) that has 30+ years of handfeeding, hatching and assisting with hatching experience. Luckly all 3 chicks have hatched safely, and The vet was able to live in house.

IMG_20220604_192931.jpg

Could you all please remember that I am still a kid andstill make mistakes...

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m glad all went well and some appropriate steps were taken to ensure the safety of these babies.

Part of the reason we try to discourage some of the things you do are because you’re a kid! I don’t think any of us have forgotten- we’ve just become very intolerant of reason logic and responsibility being ignored when we try to steer you in the right direction.
Making mistakes is fine- gambling and taking unnecessary risks when it comes to living beings is not an ok mistake to make

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thaty´s good the vet was able to live there. Worth keeping their number for if you´re ever heading out of town in the future :tup: