• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Chicas butt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Preparation-H, which will reduce inflammation and help with any itching. I have used both for my bird and I'm sure others have also.
-----------------------------------------

Good suggestion, and a good product to have on hand. In the event of a prolapse Prep-H can be used to help contrict and shrink the tissue making it easier for re-insertion.

(Just FYI info, just in case) I thought I had better pix's saved. below is a lousey pix of a prolapsed uterus/oviduct with a malformed egg inside. When tissue is prolapsed from the inside of the bird it will be a deep pink/red color. If could be as little as 1/4" to the size of an egg. Sometimes it can be real bloody. The most important thing that would need to be done if this ever occurs is to keep the tissue wet and clean...such as running warm water from a faucet, until the bird can see a vet.

Attachments

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
The vet office just opened so called and talked with a vet. She said that we should wait till tomorrow to go to the vet cause then a more bird experienced vet will be there. She would call me later today to check up on us and give us a time tomorrow for the vet. Again its not an avian vet, and i am so afraid of going there, but its our only option. We dont mind driving far for a vet, but there are no options when it comes to Denmark. We are only 5,5 milion people, so there are limits to what we can get.
Thank you for all your help, and we will be sure to try and get everything you have recomended.

CrashSmAshley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
I hope everything turns out well. Everyone has given you great advice. Please let us know as soon as you can about the vet visit!! :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Poor baby. Please let us know how it goes.

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
We found a special guy today, he is not an avian vet, but he knows abit about birds. We had to drive 1 hour to get to him but •••• my dear bird got good treatment...
Chica now has a collar on so she cant pluck on her butt. He gave her antibiotica and some hormone treatment. We have to call him tomorrow and see how she is doing, and to see if the collar need to get off. And he will give us a cream for her butt if it doesnt get better. But he was really good and he is our vet from now on!!!!!

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
We called the vet again cause we didnt think she was doing too well with the collar, so he told us to take it off, and he ordered a cream that will come to a store near us. We will then have to try that to see if she will leave her butt alone.
Im so happy we found a careing vet! He took time for us, we were there with her the whole time. He wasnt in any hurry to get us out. We have found a guy that can be trusted. He isnt an avian vet, but he knows about birds.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
That is good you found a caring helpful vet.

This may be an obscure suggestion but you might want to ask the vet if he can do a fecal float of the feces to determine if there is an intestinal parasite problem. I have encountered worms (tapeworms) with my tiels and they also plucked and redened the vent area.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I agree with Susanne that there is a possibility of parasites. If the medication your vet gave you does not provide relief, you might ask his opinion on parasites. Many parasites are hard to find in the feces, you have to be there at the right time with a fecal float. The best time to find eggs and larvae is the first poop of the day. Pin worms can cause itching near the vent.

gary

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
Its not just near the vent, she plucked her chest and under her wings. He gave her a shot that should last for 3 days, and we are getting the cream. We are going to keep updating our vet with how its going, im going to ask about it when i call him tomorrow.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
True Gary, many times intestinal parasite are not visible to the eye. Keep fresh paper below where she perches and sleeps at night. This can be taken to the vet to show several droppings, and if there are changes between each. I bird may have normal droppings a time or two and then pass some abnormal appearing droppings.

Most vets can do a fecal float while you are there. Many vets also work with labs, and even if the vet is not an avian vet, you can ask him if the lab he works with does avian specimans.

Also some of the droppings may have a mucousy or slimey look, and string from the grate of the cage bars.

Also if a bird has giardia intermitant droppings may look like those below. They would also have a foul earthy oder.

Attachments

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Its not just near the vent, she plucked her chest and under her wings.
------------------------------

OK...there could be a possibility of Giardia, which is an intestinal parasite.

Also, you might be able to ask your city if they can test your water to see if there are any high percentages of protozoa, or contaminants in it.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
With her plucking her chest and wings, could it be giardia? What about polyfollicutlitis? That is where there is more than one feather in a follicle.

Ginger

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
I will just keep a good eye on her now because she got a antibiotica shot so dont want to stress her out to much now, The vet said to let her be for the next 2 days and check her vent on the 3rd day. If she still plucks or she looks irritated i will go back straight away. But keep on posting because all your help is amazing.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I will just keep a good eye on her now because she got a antibiotica shot so dont want to stress her out to much now
------------------------------------
Is the type of antibiotic listed on your receipt from the vet? When antibiotics are given normally they are given over a period of a week or two, and a couple times a day, depending on the type of antibiotic.

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
It's penicillin he said, but its not on the receipt.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
It's penicillin he said, but its not on the receipt.
------------------------------------

Hmmm...penecillin can come in many forms, such as amoxicillian, pipracillin, Procaine penecillin. Was he more specific, and did he send you home with some of the med. to continue treatments?

The major drawbacks of penecillin is the frequency of dosages to maintain effective concentrations in the body for them to be effective. The reason that pencillins have to be given on a regular daily basis is for the body to maintain good blood levels for the med to be effective. One dose is not effective.

You mentioned that she was also given a shot that would last a few days...would this have been cortisteriods? (may have mis-spelled the word)

Last edited:

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
No he said wait 3 days and then we have to come back depending on how it looks because she was in a breeding mood he is saying her hormones are more higher then normal and it could also be a reason she is not in her normal state as in she thinks alot about the eggs and nesting and sitting on the eggs. But her last egg was layed a month ago and she is not sitting on them anymore the last few days so he wants to see how she is when we take away the nestbox , if she will keep on going. So thats why 3 days.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ok...not meaning to chastise you, but so far we are getting bits and peices of info, such as the additional plucking under the wings etc, and your last posting as to what the vet said in regards to her breeding mode. Info like this is helpful to those responding to your postings. Every un-mentioned symptom or problem is like a piece of the puzzle to see the whole picture.

Quite possibly the form of penicillin the vet gave that was injectable might have been pipracillin. I've found it is the most effective when there are suspected reproductive problems, such as infections. BUT, like all penecillins it must be dosed 2-3 times a day, for 7-10 successive days in order to effectively treat.

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
Ah sorry didnt mean to give small bits of information. Its been quite alot with everything, we have been so worried about her, we only want the best for our babies. I will tell the vet what you said, and hear what he has to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.