• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Chicas butt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Tough to tell from the pictures, but are you sure it is not a prolapse? Is the red projecting out at all? If so it is important that it is kept moist until you can get her to a vet to have it fixed.....My parrotlet has layed many eggs and never plucked her behind and it was never red like that except when she prolapsed twice.

I think I would try to get her to a vet ASAP...

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
what kind of bird is she? none of mine have plucked their butts to help with the eggs, a couple of my female budgies have pulled out some stomach feathers but never butt feathers, they sit on the eggs with their bellies (or at least all mine do

I wouldn't use anything greasy that'll make a huge nasty mess - have you ever tried to get Vaseline out of hair? Its no better trying to get it out of feathers

if you can get Pure ALOE VERA JUICE (not sure if you have a Walmart but I bought mine in the Pharmacy Isle) that may help some just mix it in a clean water bottle and give her a shower with it.
Chica is a lovebird. As for the Aloe Vera Juice, its not something the stores of Denmark have. Maybe i can be lucky to find it online.

I agree too soon to take the eggs away..way too soon..they will usually abandon after about 30 days...we start taking one a week after about 25 days...( I was advised to do that)--but do not take the final ones away until she appears to not be sitting on them at all..- also shells on the eggs should be all hard..if not she will need a calcium supplement which you can order on line..i.e. calci boost..a cuttle bone calcium rich foods like broccoli and kale...keep coming back here every so often as there are bound to :hug8:b e some good answers for you dear...
They got a cuddlebone in their cage, they have also gotten alot of different foods for the same. She also ate 2 of the eggs, heard they do that cause they know if there is nothing inside it.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli

Chica is a lovebird. As for the Aloe Vera Juice, its not something the stores of Denmark have. Maybe i can be lucky to find it online.

They got a cuddlebone in their cage, they have also gotten alot of different foods for the same. She also ate 2 of the eggs, heard they do that cause they know if there is nothing inside it.

ya none of my lovebirds pluck their butts either

but I've learned the hard way, once a egg eater always an egg eater
I had a male budgie eat eggs that had babies in them or ones that were just laid , it didn't matter. Needless to say he went to a home that would not breed him for the fact he is a egg eater, and became a pet.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Lousie a clearer photo would help. The bitrd is too close to the camera and out of focus.

Just a few questions. Is the abdomen also swollen and protruding? Is there any bleeding?

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
Lousie a clearer photo would help. The bitrd is too close to the camera and out of focus.

Just a few questions. Is the abdomen also swollen and protruding? Is there any bleeding?
There is no bleeding. It doesnt look swollen. We will try and catch her again. Problem is the camera sux, and she isnt tame so its not easy to catch her.

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
This is the best picture we have gotten. We also took a vidio, but it will take 20min-1hour before its uploaded.

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
This is the movie you can see it alot better here, and its in HD.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Sweetie,

I am sorry to say this, but that looks like a prolaspe to me and that is very serious. Like Leslie says, you need to keep it moist. What kind of topical cream or ointment do you have in the house?

Hopefully someone here will be able to help you.

There are no avian vets anywhere in Denmark?

You can email or call Dr. Burkett. I know he does phone consultations and he could advise the vet you do have.

Ask the Board Certified <BR>Avian Veterinarian

Here's a link to some Harrison products in Denmark.

Meadows Animal Healthcare - Denmark

Here's a link to some exotic vets in Denmark.

http://ferrethealth.org/vets/intl.txt

Also if you have a zoo in Denmark you might be able to find a vet there.
Ginger

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
If its a prolapse what would the vet be doing to Chica?
We do not have any avian vets in Denmark, and it really scares us! But we do have some with a hobby for birds. The last one gave my birds a full wingclip + i wasnt allowed in the room. Went to another normal vet and Pearl died while i was there, so im not a fan of going there either...

The vet in Denmark you have found is in the other end of Denmark, we live all north while that one is near copenhagen. We dont mind driving far cause our birds mean everything to us. Now im just to scared and would like to know if its okay to drive 4 hours to get to a vet with a bird in this condition? There is also another vet having alot to do with birds, but i cannot call him till tomorrow cause its so late here in Denmark. I tried but there is no answer, all it said was opening hours.

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
It doesn't look like a prolaspe. The red is above the vent. My concern would be a possible infection in the uterus.

Can you ask at a drug store or phrmacy for suggestions on something soothing to topically put on it. Possibly some Vitamin E in liquid form. A drop massage in several times a day.

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
It doesn't look like a prolaspe. The red is above the vent. My concern would be a possible infection in the uterus.

Can you ask at a drug store or phrmacy for suggestions on something soothing to topically put on it. Possibly some Vitamin E in liquid form. A drop massage in several times a day.
Drugstore is not open till Monday. Most of Denmark is closed on Sundays, and even more so now with all the snow we have.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Susanne, you know way more than I do, but when I watched the video it looked like there was a lip of skin protruding around the mid left at 6 seconds and 11 seconds. Is it just a trick of the light?

Ginger

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, I have been watching this thread I see you are running out of options to help the bird. If it were one of mine I would either make a paste of cayenne pepper with water and smear on the area with inflammation. The cayenne will help draw out infection and sooth pain and help with itching. Another option would be to use, Preparation-H, which will reduce inflammation and help with any itching. I have used both for my bird and I'm sure others have also.

I have lived remote like you are and understand your frustration.

One of many articles on cayenne: Curing With Cayenne - Amazing healing power of cayenne pepper

gary

Last edited:

Lolle

Real Name
Louise
Well i am kind off limited to what i can do right now. First thing in the morning i will call and go to the birdvet, or atleast he is the recommended vet for birds in denmark. I will listen to what he says and if it is prolapse or not. Also will find out what to do.

The thing is and its the thing that makes me feel like a bad parront is that i dont know how long she has this. She is just her normal self, she sits on the eggs, she comes out to eat, sometimes gets preened by Chico sometimes she preens chico. No signs of her being in pain at all and i understand birds have a tendacy to not show any signs of discomfort that much. Julio just saw a glimps of her butt when she flew back in the nestbox and said it was red, so we checked her out and now we are here.

I will get all stuff that is recommended in this thread even if i wont need it now i might possibly need it in the future.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Keeping you all in my prayers.

Ginger

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Ill be thinking of you...I think the vet visit is important so you know what you are dealing with....

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Susanne, you know way more than I do, but when I watched the video it looked like there was a lip of skin protruding around the mid left at 6 seconds and 11 seconds. Is it just a trick of the light?

Ginger
I thought that also and I watched it a couple times thought I was seeing things almost looks like its cut into 2 sections but not actually cut - if that makes any sense

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Well i am kind off limited to what i can do right now. First thing in the morning i will call and go to the birdvet, or atleast he is the recommended vet for birds in denmark. I will listen to what he says and if it is prolapse or not. Also will find out what to do.

The thing is and its the thing that makes me feel like a bad parront is that i dont know how long she has this. She is just her normal self, she sits on the eggs, she comes out to eat, sometimes gets preened by Chico sometimes she preens chico. No signs of her being in pain at all and i understand birds have a tendacy to not show any signs of discomfort that much. Julio just saw a glimps of her butt when she flew back in the nestbox and said it was red, so we checked her out and now we are here.

I will get all stuff that is recommended in this thread even if i wont need it now i might possibly need it in the future.

don't think of your self as a bad bird parent - That is the underside of the bird not a whole lot of birds let their humans see that area of them I hardly ever see that area of my birds.

It's nothing you've done so dont blame your self

birds are very odd little creatures, their minds work in mysterious ways and I really don't think us humans will ever really understand them!

and it doesn't help much on re leaving stress when the state/country you live in has very little places to go for birds.

The town i live in does not have an avian vet in it, we have one that sees birds but before I'd step foot back in that office it would be a dire emergency They don't really know squat about birds

but avian vets are a hour and more away, where I live so if i had a huge emergency then of course I couldn't go that far and would have to bite and grin it sort of speak and see the crappy "all animal" vet

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I drive 2 1/2 hours one way to see our avian vet. Lots of people have to drive quite a distance to get to one.

Ginger

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
OK. This is just a thought since I'm certainly no expert and it's actually half a question to our more knowledgeable members.

But since you're really running out of options for 'first aid' until you can get hold of a vet/better treatments, I thought I'd throw this idea out there:

Do you by any chance have - or can get hold of - Chamomile tea (bags will do if nothing else)?

We all know that chamomile tea is bird safe and it can be used as a wash or compress to treat (among many other things) skin irritations/infections. It is very mild and will soothe all kinds of skin irritation and itching and has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties. If applied as a cold wash/compress it'll help cooling sore skin. This is from human treatment but, doing a quick google, I've seen some sites mention it also is safely used in animal treatments

Other external uses of chamomile include topical preparations for the treatment of bruises, scrapes, skin irritations, and joint pain. The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile make it a widely used external treatment for acne, arthritis, burns, ulcerated areas of skin, and even diaper rash. The German E Commission, regarded as an authority on herbal treatments, has recommended chamomile to "combat inflammation, stimulate the regeneration of cell tissue, and promote the healing of refractory wounds and skin ulcers.
Ref: Chamomile
This is just one of the many websites I found.
And maybe additionally give it internally as well since it helps boost the immune system and generally will help combat any systemic infections. If nothing else it certainly won't hurt her and I think it might be worth a try.

Sending healing thoughts to your poor baby :hug8:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.