• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chibi-Totoro's Diary

pevelg

Moving in
Real Name
Pavel
Hi All,

Me and my wife are now the proud parents of a blue quaker. We've named him Chibi-Totoro, though we call him Chibi for short. The name is gender neutral, as he has not been sexed. We will call him "he" for now, though I guess if he later lays an egg we will have to change the pronoun! :) My wife and I have both owned budgies as kids, and I also had a cocktail when I was a teenager, but this is the first either of us has had a parrot.

As we are new parronts, I wanted to document my experience and seek this communities advice along the way. So, without further ado, here is our little Chibi:

chibi-totoro.JPG

His hatch date is May 10th, 2020, making him almost 4 months old. He arrived at our home on Friday, August 28th. The first day he was home, he kept to himself on one of the corner perches. As the days quickly advanced, he has become more active, vocal, and allows us to approach.

Our primary concern at this time is his diet. The breeder says he has been weened for about two weeks, but he has been refusing to eat his pellets since we got him home. When he is hungry, he has learned that hoping from his perch to the food dish gets our attention. He then looks to our fingers for food, ignoring the pellets in his bowl. I have tried a large variety of fruits and vegetables, and so far the only thing he has accepted was a little bit of watermelon and fresh cooked corn. In fact, he absolutely loves and destroys the corn. My big concern is that this is all he seems to want to eat. I've called the breeders we got him from and they've suggested some other foods, all of which he continues to ignore. They mixed two brands of pellets, so we are awaiting for the second type (roudybush) to arrive.

How safe is it for him to be on a temporary pure corn diet? And is there a limit to how much and often he should eat? I'm afraid he loves the stuff so much that we will overeat. If he is really hungry, he'll run all around his cage and readily jump on me to get me to feed him. And many times if I am attempting to give him something else he will try to bite.

Even though we only have had him for less than a week, we love this little rascal. I want him to be in the best health possible and the two of us would appreciate any advice. As a bonus, I've added a video of him eating his corn. In this one he is being polite. Sometimes he just eats it like there is no tomorrow.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Like many "fully weaned" baby birds, he has probably regressed due to the stress of the move - everything is strange.

Get some baby bird formula and give it to him for as long as he acts like he wants it.

Corn is not bad, but it is not a a balanced diet for your guy. It is far too high in carbohydrates and sugar. He needs pellets (not colored and no sugar). vegetables like sweet potato, leafy greens, peas and a few seeds - very few seeds.

pevelg

Moving in
Real Name
Pavel
Like many "fully weaned" baby birds, he has probably regressed due to the stress of the move - everything is strange.

Get some baby bird formula and give it to him for as long as he acts like he wants it.
Thanks, I will be in town tomorrow and will pickup some formula to add to the diet. After a bunch of reading on hand feeding, it might explain Chibi's interest in my fingers. Also interesting about the warmth of food, this might be a way for me to encourage Chibi to eat other food. With the new pellets arriving tomorrow and getting some formula, hopefully we will have a breakthrough.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
You might try softening some pellets in water or unsweetened fruit juice and offering them to Chibi. Just put a few pellets in a small glass (shot glass size works well) and add just enough water to moisten them, and let them sit for a short time to soften. If you have a small spoon, scoop up a few of the softened pellets with it and offer them, or just put a few in Chibi's food dish (don't leave them there for too long though; if they go uneaten, exchange them for fresh ones). This often works with parrots new to eating pellets or just reluctant to eat them.
You really do have experience with parrots, since budgies and cockatiels are small parrots. :)

pevelg

Moving in
Real Name
Pavel
So this morning while I was cooking Chibi some Cream O' Wheat, my wife tried grinding up Chibi's pellets and adding warm water to the mix. Since she finished her attempt before I was done, we tried feeding him the warm pellet paste. He ate it very happily!!! I think we were even more happy than he was. :D

This is a huge relief for us, as we now know he will be getting the needed nutrients. He is not shy about telling us he is hungry and I just fed him again with a spoon using the paste mixed with the Cream O' Wheat. From what I've read, I can just continue doing this until he starts eating on his own again? We will try to continue to encourage Chibi to try his fruits, veggies, and firm pellets. Also, is there a limit to how much I feed him per day? He stops on his own during a feeding, but seems to want to eat more than 3 times per day.

pevelg

Moving in
Real Name
Pavel
Chibi Updates:

He has continued eating his crushed pellet soup, and we have been transitioning the colored pellets out of the diet. Slowly trying to get him on dry pellets, with today giving some limited success with him eating just a couple. While he still loves his corn, he has discovered a new favorite treat: Sunflower Seeds. I think he would do anything for the seeds. At first he would just play with the shell, but after a few days he discovered that the inside is even better than the outside. We only give him seeds occasionally when we are playing or getting him to do something he doesn't want to do.

With this Friday marking two weeks of ownership, I think we are officially part of his flock. He discovered that he likes to snuggle near my arm when I'm working, and also just yesterday has discovered the incredible thing called "head scratches." Here is a small video showing his thorough enjoyment!