• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

chewy but hates toys

BlueWing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jena
Hi. My conure will aggressively chew the cage bars, his bowls and perches but completely ignore his wood toys. He is given 1 to 2 hour out-of-cage time daily but the only thing he will do during that time is chomp down on anything he can reach. I don't know his exact age but the pet store said 6 to 9 months. Tips please?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of wood toys?

A lot of petshop toys my conure wouldn't touch! Many use too thick, or cut wrong, or too hard of woods for small beaks. But balsa, cork, sola, and super thin pine she liked a lot!

Here's a page of toys I recommend for people trying to get their bird into chewing.

And some tips: My Bird Won't Play With Toys!

You can also try stainless steel toys :)
Blu's Bird Toys - Stimulate Your Bird's Senses!

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Is he bonded with you? If so, try fiddling with the toys in front of him, and then offering him some. Try different types of wood.

BlueWing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jena
What kind of wood toys?

A lot of petshop toys my conure wouldn't touch! Many use too thick, or cut wrong, or too hard of woods for small beaks. But balsa, cork, sola, and super thin pine she liked a lot!

Here's a page of toys I recommend for people trying to get their bird into chewing.

And some tips: My Bird Won't Play With Toys!

You can also try stainless steel toys :)
Blu's Bird Toys - Stimulate Your Bird's Senses!
Thin but hard wood cut as stars or beads. There is a thick rope he used to play with but not anymore. Natural wood color.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It might be worth trying some different toys and materials. Try some soft, shreddable material - balsa, loofah, palm leaves, paper and cardboard are all good for encouraging birds to chew their toys.