• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chewing Tailfeathers?

lisazartsi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa
Hi there!

My four-month-old green cheek is beginning to molt some of her baby feathers due to her transition to adolescence and the change in the weather here in Ontario. She's been to the vet for a checkup and has been determined to be very healthy, but she tends to chew a bit at her tailfeathers. I've been giving her little bits of virgin coconut oil throughout the week (also putting it on her feet to help with dry skin), and she has a mineral block, loves eating her Zupreem pellets and her fresh veggies, etc. so I know it's not a nutrition issue. She isn't chewing due to boredom - I believe she may either be chewing because of dry skin or irritation with the pin feathers coming through. I'm wondering if there's a way that I can stop her from doing this?

* Note, before adopting her, another bird pulled out her tailfeathers during an aggressive playing incident. She was also trimmed before we got her, so lots of feather-growth happening right now :/

Thank you :)

Attachments

lisazartsi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa
Thinking this may be happening as well because she loves sleeping up against her favourite foraging toy (which is quite rough on the outside).