• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chewing on Forager Mug Lid - Alternatives?

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has anyone had experience with their bird chewing on the lids for the plastic mug foragers?

I recently noticed that Pico has been chewing on the lid quite roughly so I took the forager out 20230107_191210.jpg

I'm not sure I feel very comfortable with putting it back in since it seems like he's chewing the plastic off at the edges. I don't think he's ingesting any plastic but I can't really monitor him at work so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Pico absolutely loves this forager though so I'm a bit conflicted about being able to find any alternatives

I've put a pod cup forager in his cage as a replacment for now but he's not interested in it at all. I think it's because he can't see the actual treats inside so he loses interest almost immediately despite me opening the lid to show him there are still treats inside the pod

I can remove the lid from the mug but I feel like it was already easy enough to forage from even with the lid so I'm not sure if that's the best way to go

I also have the Barrel of Fun foraging toy too which he likes since he can see the treats but he hasn't quite got the hang of opening it yet so when I lock a little harder he isn't able to open it and if I don't lock it hard it just falls open when he shakes it a bit

I guess I'm mostly looking for a foraging toy similar to the mugs but with harder plastic lids. If anyone has anything they can suggest/recommend?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Besides acrylic (the material the mugs are made of), there's not a ton of other plastics that are really harder that I would put with birds. I don't like too hard of plastic as it can snap and become sharp.

You could stuff the top with top parts he has to remove to get to the treats inside. Or even shredded paper, etc.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You could use cardboard discs instead of the plastic if you’re worried.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Besides acrylic (the material the mugs are made of), there's not a ton of other plastics that are really harder that I would put with birds. I don't like too hard of plastic as it can snap and become sharp.

You could stuff the top with top parts he has to remove to get to the treats inside. Or even shredded paper, etc.
That's a good point with harder plastic being sharp if snapped, I hadn't considered that.

I usually do stuff them with shredded paper and bits of broken sola pieces but it usually takes him a quick second to throw them all out lol. I'll keep trying more stuff though. Thanks Mizzely!

You could use cardboard discs instead of the plastic if you’re worried.
Ohh that's a great idea or maybe even the balsa chips I have would work. Thanks Shez!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Or you could get a wooden disk or piece of cholla wood to act as a lid.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Or you could get a wooden disk or piece of cholla wood to act as a lid.
Yeah! I'll give those a try, thanks!

There are 3 mugs so I think I'll try different materials on each to see what works best for him :)

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yeah a piece of wood would work :headsmack: Hardwood circles would be a good option!
Oh that would definitely work! Pico is more of a soft wood chewer so I can see those lasting :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I suggested cardboard as I know not all our members have or use power tools.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
What about the small cupcake papers? Put 3-4 so he has to work through them. With a bead on top to keep them in place a little longer. Different colours may attract him as well….:think1: