• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chewing on clothes

Tangomom

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi - I have a almost 2 year old male Jenday Conure. I am the third owner and do not know a lot about his past. I have had birds before but never a conure. My question is this: Is it normal for birds to chew, bite through your clothes? I am now the proud owner of bird clothes that I only wear when he is out. My previous birds only pooped on my clothes. So I am not sure if this is normal or not.
. 843A379A-F2D2-4A14-B05C-99DB8D4C364D.jpeg
He has a ton of chew toys, climbing toys, etc. but doesn’t seem interested in them. Grateful for any suggestions . Thanks !!

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
My Pip likes to chew on the strings. He does not eat the string but he will chew on it like gum and then spits it out. I have no idea why he does this he also has a cotton rope knot kind of swing but he does not chew on that. I figure as long as he is not eating it then it does not hurt anything over me having to buy bird clothes.. lol

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
You could try creating a "bird vest". I make them to wear with my boys. I use non-pilling fleece and sew shiny buttons and other toys onto them, which tends to focus the bird's attention to the toys rather than the fabric. You could even try sewing on some string they could chew on without damaging the vest itself.