• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chewing everything rather than eating his food

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Hello ^_^
Bu bird is started to explore my bed and spend his time outside his cage until bedtime.
It's very good to finally let him out safety and it makes me really happy but recently he doesn't want to eat his food i make.
Every morning i make a mix for him he doesn't want to eat it.
And prefer chewing on a small mirror frame, i keep my eyes on him, beside it isn't dangerous. Also he chews in my papers and notebooks
I'm very worried about him also he's feathers are growing. Many pin feathers everywhere.
What should I do? :(

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Just some questions

What is his diet like?
If he is eating chop, maybe try a different mix of veggies and grains.
If he is eating pellets, he could be getting tired of them, or not like the shape. Try switching.
My bird likes orange chop, but won`t eat green chop. Try cutting the chop chunkier or thinner if thats what he`s eating.
Does he have a mirror in his cage?
He could be getting obsessed, try taking it out when he goes out next time.
Chewing is normal and good activity for a bird, try some shredding toys. A common favourite is this: Wesco Pet Original Bird Kabob | bird Toys | PetSmart
Is he plucking his feathers, or just moulting?
Remember plucking and preening are different things.
If you are really getting worried I think a trip to your avian vet is in order. :grouphug2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm assuming he's eating other things? Just not his chop? It can take awhile for a bird to try new food. So just keep trying. Also, you can try giving him bigger pieces on a skewer. Trying one at a time, etc. Although most birds like chop, I've always had better luck with serving once vegetable at a time with my birds.