• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CHEWED THROUGH PAINT ON CAGE!!!!

Jeagerbrot

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Belle Garner
My sun conure is chewing through the paint coat on his A&E cage and I don't know what to do!! Should I buy a better quality cage like stainless steel or aluminum? I didn't even know a sized beak like his could chew through the paint. I also don't know if I should get in contact with a veterinarian to talk about the paint he might have ingested.

The cage that he chewed through is the A&E Cage Company Green Palace Dometop Bird Cage, 32" L X 23" W X 63" H. Kind of disappointed in A&E, I've only had it for two years and now I have to get it replaced.

I am also going to be an upcoming collage student and I don't have that much money to spend, I was thinking on getting him a king cage because ive heard that those have a strong and thick paint coating, but i'm not sure.

any ideas on what to do?:scared2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh that is not good :(

If you think he has ingested the paint chips then I would feed some almond butter or safe peanut butter to try to help it pass through his system and I would also call the vet to see what they suggest you do moving forward.
I would contact the company see what they have to say about their paint being chipped off so soon but I would also be looking for a SS or aluminium cage if your bird is a paint chipper.

Jeagerbrot

Real Name
Belle Garner
Thank you for the advice!! I love him but he tends to destroys everything but most of his toys! :dead:

I think I am either going to get the prevue pet products medium SS cage or the King Cage play pen Bird Cage

King Cage

Prevue Pet products

The SS option is smaller than his current but he is out of his cage most of the time so I don't think it matters too much , and King cages are known for their hard to chew paint finishes, so I don't think his conure beak is going to chew through that

And yeah I am messaging A&E about this I know there isn't much they can do but its just nice for them to know. Definitely not getting that brand for maybe future birbs

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would not assume he can't chew through the King's. While it is more durable, I would personally not want to take the risk. My Hahns tore through some of the powder coating on an Avian Adventures cage which also boasted a more durable finish.

Jeagerbrot

Real Name
Belle Garner
Yeah, as much as I would hate to admit, you are right. I don't want to risk him eating through the king cage too, then I would have to buy yet another. SS or aluminum it is