• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chewables

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
I am going to try making some chewable toys using soft woods. I have been searching for info on safe soft woods. I have managed to source balsa and white birch. I can try drilling holes and making a kebab, maybe with some cardboard circles, on a SS skewer (not a cooking skewer!) I have 2 young tiels and a quaker, all between 3 and 5 months.

If anyone can share their experiences with suitable woods that would be wonderful.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You might find mahogany pods, sola, or thinly sliced pine is welcomed too. @Mizzely will likely have some more options I have not thought of.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yucca, sola, balsa, cork, cork bark, and mahogany pods :) You can also try thinly sliced pine (like 1/8") Birch is quite hard and I definitely wouldn't consider it a soft wood.

MattP

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matthew
You might find mahogany pods, sola, or thinly sliced pine is welcomed too. @Mizzely will likely have some more options I have not thought of.
Thank you! Yes i have heard of sola but can't find any locally. Pine is ok not sure about mahogany. Step one was finding parrot names in Chinese, now I know them (and have birds) I am busy finding out wood names :D

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Ca bird nerds offers alot of soft woods.