• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cherry headed conures!!

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
some cherry headed conures in my backyard!! they came by to eat what i think are dates from a palm. the people who own the palm (it’s right behind my house) they just recently cut the fruits off and the parrots stopped coming. :( here’s some pics i from when they were here:
E3364657-C06F-4CC6-89EF-A21BC357BDA8.png 864969CF-7DF7-41BE-8850-EA28E7EC27CE.png 5E8C3A0C-10D0-4128-9EB0-042726EC95F1.png

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
Wow! If that were in my backyard, I'd leave the fruit on purpose to lure to birds. :laugh:
haha! i know! they have a big property and a lot of palms so i assume that they were bringing other, unwanted, creatures like raccoons and rats and such, it also might be because we’ve had HUGE wind storms in my area and the palms (not the fruit ones since they have large palms and one smaller one with fruits) were flowing so hard in the wind and it might’ve blown some fronds into their house or yard.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Our neighbours also have massive palms (all kinds) and if they can get the fruit off before it ripens then they do. It saves an awful lot of cleaning up, a lot of the palm nuts are also deadly to dogs so that is another reason many here people remove the fruits.
I wish the neighbours palms attracted parrots but they don’t :(

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
Our neighbours also have massive palms (all kinds) and if they can get the fruit off before it ripens then they do. It saves an awful lot of cleaning up, a lot of the palm nuts are also deadly to dogs so that is another reason many here people remove the fruits.
I wish the neighbours palms attracted parrots but they don’t :(
i think what is on this palm is dates, some were ripe (and the parrots found them) and most FF622AD8-CEBE-49C7-BD3D-5603EB22B7CF.jpeg
the orange and green fruits are not ripe i believe (they only were really eating the purple ones, which i think are ripe). They cut the entire lower half of the palm fronds which included the fruits.

I think that it attracted them because it was convenient. The entire flock roosts a few miles away from me. most of the people in my area grow their own fruits/nuts so the flock (i assume) splits up and they go to the other trees in the neighborhood and it is probably plenty of food for the whole flock. (one neighbor even has a pecan tree which i’m sure they love)