• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cherry headed conures in San Francisco!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feyoka

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ingrid
Lately we've been having parts of a cherry headed conure flock land on the trees in our backyard. Theyre very squawky, but so fun to watch! I put some parrot mix on our roof and I can hear them scrambling around up there during the day. They're pretty bold too, they don't mind being watched and will actually land on you if you have food. Wonder if we'll have some chicks in the springtime, they sure seem to like our neighborhood. :)

Certainly the gem of the "urban woodlands" of San Francisco. ;)

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are very pretty!

Matt

patagonian

Hit the Road
wow that's awesome....I hope that the city doens't do anything to get rid of them like so many cities do..chad

Feyoka

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ingrid
wow that's awesome....I hope that the city doens't do anything to get rid of them like so many cities do..chad
Luckly for them (and us!) parrot preservation laws have made them here to stay. They seem to be surviving pretty well, theres well over 200 of them according to the latest counts. If there's one good thing about escaped parrots, it's the small chance of them creating flocks and bringing color to the dull cities. ;)

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
There are wild conure flocks all over California, but the San Francisco group is the most well known. There is a wonderful movie about one of the San Francisco flocks; Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill. If you haven't seen it, you really should!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if they are part of the flock from the book/movie. They are so beautiful,I have both the book and movie and it just captivated me like no other.

pinkparrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tiffany
Its funny that you should post this, I just happened to watch the movie for the first time today. It broke my heart when the blue crown got ate by the hawk.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Please , Please participate in the parrot count in January. Just go to Parrot - CML It's really important for research (helpful) on city parrots. You can also go to city parrots.org. Did you know that there are even 300 species of parrots in 10 European countries now. In Miami we have a flock of 25 breeding blue nad gold macaws for 25 years.

CosmoKramer

Real Name
Zach
Im jealous of you guys that get to see the wild parrots on a daily basis! :p
Seeing a wild flock is deffinately on my "bucket list"

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
BEAUTIFUL photo of the famous flockers!

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I would love to see wild parrotlet's some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.