• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Checking in from Maryland

LynnInColorado

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
:hello1:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Melli & Flock!

:welcomeavenue:

Buddy loves his sprouts but he's into bigger food. Maybe some Quinoa sprouted & some Millet sprouted. Then a sprinkle of Ground flax & Ground hemp seed on top.
(I add those to Buddy's sprouts almost daily)
Then something nice & herbally on top, Buddy's favorite is Oregano & Organic Chamomile tea, not together. I'm guessing when I say this but each one of your little ones is going to have a taste for something herbally. (They may not all be the same either)

There's a safe spice list here:

Herbs and spices benefits for your parrots... | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

There's Sprouting info here: (green areas@top)

Feathered Food Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

:hug9: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
Well, this morning I took away the seed cup and instead of eggs I JUST gave them finely chopped veggies... broccoli and cauliflower and carrots and red bell pepper. Oshi and Oz both ate some. Opal "explored" it, but I'm not sure she actually ATE any! One thing for sure is they have ALL been a LOT more vocal this morning!!! Complaining??? Perhaps! After an hour I returned the seed dish. Nobody RUSHED to it, though each has nibbled, but they also have returned to the veggie dish! So I think this will be the plan for the next few days! Veggies in the morning, protein later in the day. The fruit cup is STILL a failure. Today's offering was blueberries and mango.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! Do the spices need to be fresh or do you use the dried spices?
I'm so sorry it's taken so long for me to respond. I use dried spices but I know in some cases that many members use fresh. Now you have to be careful w/ spices & parrots because some can cause issues. I know about having to use organic Ceylon Cinnamon because of everyone here. There is something in regular, cheap Cinnamon that acts as a toxin in parrots, I forgot what it's called... Begins w/ a C. It's been written here a bunch, the logic is if it says Cinnamon & doesn't say Ceylon assume it's the cheap stuff & find Ceylon. Ceylon still has this C. toxin but it's miniscule in comparrison.

They're are issues w/ Onions and Garlic too. Italian seasoning has Garlic so either avoid it or do what I do & give a very small amount very rarely (I do about 1-2 times a month spaced out.

Onion (I believe it was) can cause a severe anemia. Yes, they can have a tiny taste here & there but in large amounts can hurt your fid. Many parronts avoid it totally.

Garlic is (if I remember correctly) can also cause anemia. I just did a fast search & hit this link read #8

Toxic Foods Your Bird Should Never Eat - ZuPreem

Now there are quite a few of us that let our birds have a wee bit here & there of garlic. Sometimes a vet will recommend garlic as the illness they're treating w/ it may actually be worse. So, talk to your vet & I recommend posting a question in the feathered food court. It's a well watched area of the group & we all help one another out.

Many people even keep fresh herb gardens for their fids food.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
Keeping a fresh garden won't be happening here! I have the blackest of all black thumbs! But I have bought fresh parsley and cilantro at the grocery store. They're unimpressed! Thanks for all your help... I will keep experimenting! Parakeets are definitely NOT cockatiels! But... we are training each other... I think. (Okay... they MIGHT be winning!)