• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Checking in from Maryland

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
Hello! My name is Melli and I am Mama to 3 new budgies, Opal, Oz, and Oshi. Hoping to add one more to the mix soon! I SAY I rescued them... because I bought them from PetSmart... and I definitely FEEL like they were being rescued! I've never had budgies before, but I'm already in love with all 3 of them. In the past I had a cockatiel who I claimed while she was still in the shell, and helped hand feed daily until she was ready to come home with me. So getting these birds that were truly frightened of me, and trying to train them is ALLLLL NEW to me! But Oshi will now occasionally step up onto my finger. Oz and Opal? NOPE! My biggest concern though is I don't think these birds have ever SEEN fresh fruits and veggies before coming to me... and they want NO PART of them! Not a spinach leaf, not a blueberry, no apple, no carrots, not even peppers WITH seeds!!! I try every day... giving them variety to choose from, but all they eat is seed and scrambled eggs. They won't even try millet! Any suggestions? I've tried clipping to the cage, offering in bowles, on plates, chopped, whole, pureed! Everything! I am open to advice! I've had Opal and Oz about 3 weeks, Oshi I just got this week. Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

I’ve found my budgies to be especially fond of quinoa sprouts, broccolini, fresh native grasses and the grasses that grow from their left over seeds I throw outside, with the left over seeds that do grow I only pick them once they are starting to grow the grains and my little ones absolutely love them.
I haven’t had much luck with other veg no matter how I’ve served them but I still offer them as it did take them a while to try any of the fresh stuff they were offered.

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
Really? This astounds me! The LAST thing that would EVER have occurred to me is that a bird would not eat fresh foods! And yet I have 3 of them that won't... It just seems like it would be the most natural thing in the world! I thought it would be instinctual. Silly birds...

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!!!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Welcome aboard Opal, Oz, Oshi and Melli.
I bought them from PetSmart... and I definitely FEEL like they were being rescued!
Hear, hear!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hello to you and fids from another Marylander. Did you get them at the Timonium store? Don't give up on them eating fresh veggies. It does matter how you present them. It also helps that you have more than one bird because when one begins to eat the veggies, they all will start. It took my two about three weeks to get some veggies on and into their mouth. I always sprinkled millet seed on top which eventually got them interested. Gradually they began eating the mix. In the beginning I did not give them a huge bowl of various chopped veggies, I kept it simple. A few greens, carrots and that was it. Also I hung wet greens from the cage top held by a bag clip. Most budgies will start eating broccoli this way. Try giving them the veggies first thing in the morning when they are most hungry and take out the seed bowl for an hour or two. Timing and Presentation are the two secrets to get them eating greens. If you have a flat top cage you can lay some greens on top and see if they are curious and begin to nibble.

Please let us know how well this works.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello from Maryland! Congrats on your new budgies! Super cute names.

Conure101

:welave:
Try eating some of the food they have yourself (make a huge fuss on how good it is) soon they might join in. What do they eat currently? And also you have some beautiful birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi... I'm Melli... and I'm a birdaholic. Couldn't resist... AA... I know... Yea, I'm that bad!
:laugh: You'll fit right in!:rofl:

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
Timing and Presentation are the two secrets to get them eating greens. If you have a flat top cage you can lay some greens on top and see if they are curious and begin to nibble.
Oh this is good! I won't give up! They NEED their veggies!!! I have THOUGHT about taking the seed away for a few hours... but I didn't want to be MEAN! But I WILL be mean if it will get them to eat! I do think you're right that when one does they all will! Little copycats that they are! I have put broccoli and kale hanging from clips... but so far they have ignored it. I'll keep trying though! Thanks!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you are hanging any greens from the cage top try rolling them when they are wet in some seed, especially millet. Some may stick to the greens and entice them.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcomesign: to the Avenue, Melli, Opal, Oz, and Oshi!

As Lady Jane, said, keep trying!! Don't take away their usual food as it sounds like that is all they recognize as food for now. But you can remove the seed bowl overnight and try giving them veggies first thing... followed soon after by their usual seed bowl. My budgie used to eat everything I was eating. He used to fly to my plate and pick out what he wanted. (I eat healthily with no added salt etc.) I used to put a tiny low bowl on top of his cage, where he used to hang out most, full of fruit, veggies and soaked seeds (things like grated carrot, peas, fresh corn kernals, soaked oat groats, small pieces of fruit. He particularly loved strawberries, cherries, banana, melon.) He had fun nibbling at a broccoli "tree" or piece of plain wholemeal toast clipped next to the little bowl. Boo also adored parsley baths when I would put a whole handful of parsley on top of his cage and he would rub himself in it, and eat some. Love Shezbug's sprouting ideas. You could also try soaking and sprouting millet spray...