• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Check out my DIY bird toys!!

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Hey everyone,

Toady, I decided to make some DIY bird toys since my birds prefer them over most of the toys I get from pet stores! I like to keep things simple since my birds enjoy it most that way. They don’t like big crazy toys, but instead simple shreddable toys! I’ve included some pics of the ones I made and how far they’ve gone with it. Out of all of them, them go CRAZY over the rainbow ball, which I like to call, the “birdy beach ball”. My budgie sky absolutely loves it and prefers it over all the toys and even perches!! I also made a geometric tassel toy which is all made of paper and twine and also a 3 in 1 paper shredder toy which has 3 different textures of paper (crepe, soft, and stiff). I always like to make the 3 in 1 paper toys in the same colour as they are, so thats what I do for the stiffer paper. Everyday, I always see little rainbow crumbles on the bottom of the cage because of my toys and cute little chew marks on the toys. It makes me so happy to see that they really are enjoying it! All of these were toys that I made up and is based on textures that my budgies enjoy most (aka paper!!). Anyways, let me know what you think on these toys!!

(Btw the cage you see is temporary! New cage coming soon, so excited to share it with you guys!)

Attachments

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey everyone,

Toady, I decided to make some DIY bird toys since my birds prefer them over most of the toys I get from pet stores! I like to keep things simple since my birds enjoy it most that way. They don’t like big crazy toys, but instead simple shreddable toys! I’ve included some pics of the ones I made and how far they’ve gone with it. Out of all of them, them go CRAZY over the rainbow ball, which I like to call, the “birdy beach ball”. My budgie sky absolutely loves it and prefers it over all the toys and even perches!! I also made a geometric tassel toy which is all made of paper and twine and also a 3 in 1 paper shredder toy which has 3 different textures of paper (crepe, soft, and stiff). I always like to make the 3 in 1 paper toys in the same colour as they are, so thats what I do for the stiffer paper. Everyday, I always see little rainbow crumbles on the bottom of the cage because of my toys and cute little chew marks on the toys. It makes me so happy to see that they really are enjoying it! All of these were toys that I made up and is based on textures that my budgies enjoy most (aka paper!!). Anyways, let me know what you think on these toys!!

(Btw the cage you see is temporary! New cage coming soon, so excited to share it with you guys!)
These look so great! I love that beach ball! How did you make it???

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
It’s very simple!
Step 1: cut out 5 small circles (depending on how big you want the toy)

Step 2: fold all the circles in half

Step 3: apply glue to one side of the folded circle and stick it to another face of another folded by circle

Step 4: continue step 3 until you’ve ran out of circles and glue the two ends together to form a ball

Hope that makes sense!
If not, feel free to ask me any questions!!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It’s very simple!
Step 1: cut out 5 small circles (depending on how big you want the toy)

Step 2: fold all the circles in half

Step 3: apply glue to one side of the folded circle and stick it to another face of another folded by circle

Step 4: continue step 3 until you’ve ran out of circles and glue the two ends together to form a ball

Hope that makes sense!
If not, feel free to ask me any questions!!
Just wondering, is glue safe for birds?

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Kiwi's Mom @Skyandkiwi hmmm what glue is it? A quick google round seems to imply there are some safe glues, but I honestly have no idea.

Not sure who to tag here. @Zara ?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Looked it up, and it seems like non toxic white Elmer's is fine.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I believe you can also make your own glue if you are concerned with plain flour and water.... not sure how well or long it holds for.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I believe you can also make your own glue if you are concerned with plain flour and water.... not sure how well or long it holds for.
This is what I was going to suggest. (Learned that from The young ones :lol: )

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
I’ve used it for paper mache, and it works very well, but takes a bit to dry.
I am a little concerned about the fact that they could potentially ingest some of the raw flour which I heard is not safe for budgies...

Jisoo

i've heard many people use flour for their birds so i think it's safe.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Are you guys sure flour is safe.
If you get heat treated is safe for uncooked consumption.

Remeber that we feed our birds millet, which is also grown in a field, so this is a risk bird owners already take regularly.

Mantis64

If you get heat treated is safe for uncooked consumption.

Remeber that we feed our birds millet, which is also grown in a field, so this is a risk bird owners already take regularly.
Oh yeah forgot about that I think I should start feeding my bird Millet I wonder if he would like it.