• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cheap cage liners

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi everyone! Thought I'd share what I'm using for cheap cage liners. I'm certain this isn't new, though.

I picked up a 35" x 140 ft roll of contractors paper from Home Depot for $15. Used a miter saw to cut it to the correct width. Now I'm using my quilting gear to cut the correct length. I was making this cut each day when I changed the paper but it got bothersome. So I'm just cutting a stack and storing in the top tray which is the same size as bottom tray.

If I calculated correctly, I can get 80 liners end up costing about $0.19 USD each.

Not bad!

Attachments

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
I buy liners locally but they may ship. Check this out:

That's super handy and cheap! Lucky you to have locally. I may inquire. Thanks!

I decided to find an alternative after I bought 10 cage liners for $5. They only covered half the cage so I had to use two. $1 per day would add up for cage liners.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I love that yours are custom fit! I use these but have to use 1.5 (2 if I don't want to cut it in half) a day:

But, I can have them shipped or pick up locally for free. 24" x 30" and even though they went up in price (used to be $10, now it's $15) you get 200 sheets which is about 7.5 cents a sheet :D

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
@Mizzely well that's fantastic! I'm sure I can get those locally as well. Thank you!!

I'd much rather use 2 sheets if necessary if it saves my back from cutting!

You guys all have my "cheap" liners beat! Haha! :roflmao:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I pay approx $50 for a pack of fish and chip/butchers paper- 5-6 sheets a day are used as cage liners, a decent handful of sheets are used each week for foraging and shredding toys and both my mum and son also use the paper regularly- they use it for work, craft and postal packing purposes.
My $50 pack of paper lasts quite a few months (probably 3-4) so if it was strictly for the birds it’d last a lot longer.
I like to use the butchers paper as it’s food grade and arrives in sealed packs so I’m never worried about what it may have been exposed to.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I just use any paper that has no future purpose. Though that also depends what family you live in, mine uses alot of paper. I literally use no money at all recycling.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I buy packing paper in the extra large size and then fold it to fit the cage. Javi seems to like playing in the folds, so it works out well.