• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cheap bells are potentially dangerous

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Adelie, loooooves bells! So glad she has SSBT bells which are not flimsy and are welded.
Lots of @Jan's toys have bells. I love that you can even buy replacement bells from her so you can replace the cheap ones on other toys. Best of all, all of the O-rings on her toys are welded. :loveshower:

Where can you get these bells? I haven't seen them for sale on any websites I've been on. Thanks!
The ones I have are made by Caitec, though I'm sure there are other brands.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been toying with the idea (pun intended) of buying lengths of stainless steel tubing and suspending a pair as you would for a wind chime, so they clang against each other.

A 6ft length could be cut into 1ft lengths and yield 3 pairs; one for each of my birds. Or, you could buy pre-cut lengths so you don't have to worry about cutting and grinding yourself.

Example source... 1" 304 Stainless Steel Tubing - JT'S Outdoor Fabrics Canada

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
They do make bells for toys that are 'macaw' sized.
Not only small birds like bells. ;)
They just don't hold up to any safety standard IMO.
A cow bell once did though, but the odd colored metal had me worried so it also is gone.
Burt really loves killing bells, he hasn’t even been able to make a dent on the huge bell he got from @Jan that @faislaq bought him. He loves it and hangs from it frequently- they also sound awesome.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yep, any of the liberty bells are not welded which is the split inside that holds the clapper.

The Echo toy is for large birds, its a hefty toy.

Sorry that happened to your Cockatiel, it is very stressful when that sort of thing happens.

I have all my bell toys welded and the "Belle" toy the bird can not reach inside of the bell housing. Also the same bell housing is used on the Refill Bell toy.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, any of the liberty bells are not welded which is the split inside that holds the clapper.

The Echo toy is for large birds, its a hefty toy.

Sorry that happened to your Cockatiel, it is very stressful when that sort of thing happens.

I have all my bell toys welded and the "Belle" toy the bird can not reach inside of the bell housing. Also the same bell housing is used on the Refill Bell toy.
Hey, I was going to mention the weld thing! :wacky:
Jan's are SO much safer just by her mechanic's involved w/ her proprietory welds!

~~~~~~~~
I can say that unless these bells are hidden, sometimes there is a metal piece that holds the flapper that is NOT an "O" ring piece of metal.

20210509_134226.jpg
They're a thin metal post that holds the flapper. Buddy has taken them (Zon) & busted them w/ his beak by bending the metal till it snaps. Occasionally I place them in his cage, My last mistake was this... Buddy didn't get to the bells but was fasinated by the plastic ring. Needless to say, I wasn't home & any toy can be dangerous IF you purchase the wrong size or material for your species or birds Attitude to destroy (Buddy's is plastic).

I messed this up & the toys attached were pulled immediately, I SHOULD have known better & thank goodness he wasn't hurt.

Now the only place I'll use them will be on a chew box & where he will not mouth them ever.

20210509_135240.jpg

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
It's sad that these toy manufacturers that make these liberty and cow bells can not make it safe so nothing comes apart. I was going to buy some liberty bells and experiment but I think with the intense heat it would mess up the bell and destroy the metal plus I could not get into it close enough to where it needs to be welded closed.