• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Chaz our hybrid Macaw is poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Never ever seen him like this and think he is only now coming into his own. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out in the future.:D

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Can you take his FAVORITE treat and put it in his dish right before you want him to go to bed? I trained mine this way and tell them to "go home" ....they know what time it is and they have a treat waiting for them....Course maybe Chaz likes the toweling now because you give him scratches:p and hold him!:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
you are right Billiefaye, we both enjoy a cuddle and he gets the top of his head scritched whether he likes it or not!:D

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Chaz has sprouted another feather on his chest! The area is definately growing smaller and getting covered again slowly. I am going to have to clip his toenails very soon on his Cruella Deville looking tootsies but I am sure he won't hold it against me!:D

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Glad to her Chaz boy is better Crowley flock will keep him in our thoughts.

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Glad Chaz is feeling so much better!! And a feather!! Yea!! Do you cut his nails by yourself? If so, how? :D

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Do need the help of my better half John for this operation! Do not have enough hands to do the job on my own. I towell him and then hand him over to John to hold.He keeps the busy sharp end (his head and beak) occupied and holds him whilst I fish out his tootsies and with the clippers just take the tips off his nails.
Always have to hand some cayenne pepper and a cup with cornflour in just incase the clip is too tight. They have been known to bleed on one toe clip in the past and have to be prepared for all eventualities.
With the use of the concrete rough perches in each cage, besides the soft perch and wooden one if wanted it keeps the feet well worn down for ages before it is needed to be done again.
Leroy our Grey I find her perched on my finger or arm andit can be so painful if her nails need cutting, so that is a must also.
Scooby our other Grey has managed fine without a clip and has lovely short nails with just the help of the right perches to wear them down.
Jay our blue fronted Amazon has to go to the Vet for his. He would go for my jugular vein if I tried to cut his! We have a love/hate relationship mainly on his part I might add.:D

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Ah, I see :D, yes, that is the part I am missing, your better half, John :D, and his hands. I am trying to figure out how to get Tobie's footsies done without the real stress of taking him to the vet. I truly mean real stress, shaking, running around, and another person to drive me there. He purposely avoids the pedi perches, so no help there (sigh). Truly understand the pain of long nails as that is when Pebbles goes to get hers done at the vets. Kiwi loves to ride, so no problem there either. I have never had a birdie with a love/hate relationship, but I feel for ya!! Thanks..................................

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Not sure if it is of any help but I find if I put the pedi perch a lot higher in the cage than the rest they seem to enjoy going as high up as they can and it might help in getting your birdie to use it more?

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
OOOO..........I shall try that! I was told to put it by the food cup, but he literally stands on his head to get to the food without stepping on the perch :lol:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Our five take ages to get used to anything new and it can take ages. The slowest of the bunch to trust is the Greys with us. Once they take the plunge though there is no stopping them.
We changed their free standing perch and made the change well before Xmas last year so that by Xmas they would be using it as after all it was their Xmas present come early! That worked as predicted and took all of 3-4months for them to get used to seeing it let alone using it. Good luck with your pedi perches they are so worth it.:D

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Chaz is beautiful now and his feathers are slowly growing back on his plump little chest. We are cut right back on his formula feeds as he is also managing to eat besides. Trouble is how do I break it to him that the towelling and formula have to come to an end shortly? He loves slurping from the end of the syringe and having his head scratched afterwards.
I have told him he is already ready for the oven, but it does not seem to have much affect.:hehe:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Thing with Chaz is he will use his beak on anyone at any time and does come at them like a giraffe with his neck outstretched! I could have been bitten time and time again but once in his towel and his beagle eye on the full syringe of formula he is putty in my hands!
He ends up making these gentle baby noises and is at peace with his world.:D

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
AAAWWW................couldn't you just give Chaz something else he likes in the syringe? Thus preserving "your time" together. He seems to enjoy it so much. In any case, I shan't tell Tobie Chaz is almost finished with his "medicine". :D There is some "competition" here as to who takes his meds the best :dancing:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
So slowing switch to something else in his syringe...and spend that time with him!
:dancing::p:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad to hear Chaz is doing better :)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
thank you all Chaz is a different bird these days and well and truely recovered. Thank you for your support over the past months it was well appreciated. :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
He is so much better, last night he beat up poor Jay and from now on he has to be in his cage whilst Jay has his flying time out. They used to be sharing the same cage and big buddies but Chaz has turned into a bully and wanting his own way all of the time. Jay is not some bird I would like to mess with when he means business as I have been on the end of that vicious beak of his but he is like a big old softie with Chaz and he can do no wrong.
What is it with these birds and the power they have over one another at times? I will never get to the bottom of their behaviour and they will always puzzle me!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am glad Chaz is doing so much better.....poor little Jay!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.