• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chatty when it’s dark?

faithapaul1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Faith Paul
Hi guys! Just curious to know if anyone else has a conure (or bird in general) who talks when it’s dark. By dark I mean the lights are off or they’re under a blanket!

My green cheek will cluck and chat briefly during the day, when playing and eating, but nothing gets him going like when he’s covered with a blanket or the room is dark because it’s time for bed!

I know he’s not sleeping because I hear him munching away. He does a soft screechy sound and mumbles to himself. It kind of sounds like demonic chanting. He also really seems to enjoy climbing under blankets, particularly when the blanket is situated so that it creates a tent-like pocket for him to run around in.

He doesn’t seem to chatter away when he’s asleep either!

I read somewhere that green cheeks are cavity dwellers in the wild and sleep in logs and stuff like that, but I’ve also read that birds are instinctively quiet at night.

Just curious! Thanks everyone!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My black capped conure "Bob" talks in the dark. All lights out. "Bob...Bob... Bobbie.... whachu doin... Bobbbie....kissing sounds...He's a pretty bird...Bob... Bobbeeeeeee". Makes me chuckle... he's so silly.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I know they say birds are meant to be quiet in the dark but no one told the Galah's who often roost in the tree outside my bedroom window that they are supposed to be silent when it is dark. They make noise all night long, not as loud as just before they come in to roost or when they rise for the morning but they do squawk and carry on most niall night. There are also some other birds I hear all night but I am not sure what kind of birds they are.

Burt sometimes practices all his noises when it is sleep time and some times when I am awake at 2am I hear him kind of humming to himself. I am not sure if he was already awake or if my getting up has caused him to stir.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Sometimes I'll hear Monster Truck talking in the next room in the middle of the night, well after the lights are turned out.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
@Coldbreeze has a GCC that likes hiding under her bed's blanket.

A train passes about every 40 minutes except ~2- 5am. I moved bedtime to 8:45 because of the train. My BCC, SdC and GCC start making noises to let me know it's going by the first couple of passes. After that they're asleep. My WCP took the longest to get used to it. My p'let and budgies go right into their cages and become silent as soon as the lights are out, but they sure are noisy before! Like my IRN, they don't care about the train.

My GCC is pretty quiet during the day, but makes these guttural chirps when the train passes. My BCC and SdC scream all day but these become clucks and train-mimicing noises when the train passes at night.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
To answer your question, yup, it's perfectly normal. :yes3: All my parrots used to practice mimicking me before they would actually talk in a day or three. :tup:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Lucy talks for a while after lights are out. Mamma, Come Here. Step Up, Step Up. This all means she doesn't want to go to bed and wants me to get her so she can play some more!

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It's not so much related to the dark, but Waffle gets REALLY chattery right before she's going to bed. I suppose if I didn't control her bedtime it would be more related to the light & dark cycles. I've read that it's their instinct to call everybody back to the nest at bedtime. She yells & screams, mutters, chatters, and makes noises that sweetie describes as "a broken fax machine from 1990 connected to dial-up."
Then she quiets down and gives me her "cover me up?" face. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LSA

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Years ago I didn't know Giggie could talk...too many voices and ruined hearing from sun conure. She ended up having to wear a collar and meds for a wound she was picking at so I kept her in her carrier on my night stand. Every night...2am and 4am..."Giggggiiiieeee" kissing noises other words and grumbles. That girl can talk and I can hear when there are no other sounds...lol.

Usually I hear a lot of chattering when I put the lights out and Amada is one that fusses off and on all night.

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
My darling Zazu loves charging under blankets she gets so wired and runs in circles chirping and squaking. When lights go off she doesnt make a peep. Granted getting her to step up before bedtime is a mission. She knows come 9:50... she even starts to act out. Chirping, throwing food about. Running all over the top of her cage. She use to not be this way but as she gets older I see her personality blossoming!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
When I turn the lights out at night, my green cheek always goes through the same routine:
1. Eat for about a half hour
2. Talk and make calls for about 10-15 minutes
3. Beak grind for about a half hour
4. Drift off to sleep

Pretty much every night!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Farlie is similar. Lites go out at 8pm. If he falls asleep by 9:30 I've accomplished a small miracle. :D