• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Charlotte's walnut

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
Hi all,

Wanting to know whether it is okay to give my cockatoo Charlotte a walnut that my husband picked up off the ground. She's really only playing with it at the moment but I'm sure she will try to crack it before too long. I haven't washed it or anything (husband says he got it at the base of a tree at the church he works at; the worst it could have is some salt from the parking lot but it is an old nut and has been there for a while. Keep in mind though, that this is the same husband who Charlotte keeps biting! lol

Charlotte and a walnut.jpg

Attachments

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
This is a joke right?
EDIT: I guess I dont know the story- so I will stay quiet.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You probably shouldn't let her keep playing with it because it might have harmful fungi and bacteria on it, especially if it has not been washed.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If that's been picked off the ground don't think I would give it to her to eat. My Goffin's loves almonds in the shell but I purchase them at the market when they are available.

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
Thanks for the helpful comments. Was busy working and was only thinking about pesticide so appreciate the comments.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Get her some new ones- this one is old and could have anything accumulated or growing on the shell or could have gone bad on the inside. She will enjoy the texture and she will love what she finds inside the walnut shells too but definitely take this found one straight off her and bin it.

I know your hubby was thinking he was doing a nice thing but much like a child picking up bits and pieces off the ground to investigate we do not want them playing with or eating this stuff as we have no idea what could be on it.

This is a joke right?
EDIT: I guess I dont know the story- so I will stay quiet.
No it was not a joke, she was asking for serious helpful information.

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
Get her some new ones- this one is old and could have anything accumulated or growing on the shell or could have gone bad on the inside. She will enjoy the texture and she will love what she finds inside the walnut shells too but definitely take this found one straight off her and bin it.

I know your hubby was thinking he was doing a nice thing but much like a child picking up bits and pieces off the ground to investigate we do not want them playing with or eating this stuff as we have no idea what could be on it.

Thanks. Done.