• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures CHARLIE - Pastel face, several problems (Sad update post #11)

Angel&Char

Moving in
Real Name
Ash
This is about Charlie, our baby pastel cockatiel. He is currently around 32 days old. Last week, he already had an internal infection of fungi in his throat and some bacteria in his digestive tract, causing his droppings to be like a suspension (some powdery stuff like undigested formula separated from the water) or completely liquid (a mixture of both stool and water; real diarrhea). We took him to the vet and he is prescribed these two medicines for a week.
S__26894346.jpg S__26894347.jpg

If you can't see clearly:
  1. The first one is Nystatin, which is an oral suspension, meant for his throat infections. We were to give this to him every 8 hours, but we slightly delayed it due to inconvenience and work.
  2. The second is Marbofloxacin, which is for his digestion. We are prescribed to give it to him once a day.
  3. NOTE: the vet did mention some allergies but we forgot to ask what the symptoms are.

He is recovering and getting better, and we reduced his dosages, which appears to not have much effect. But just today, he seems to have something wrong with his eyes. He was normal throughout the day but in the evening his conjunctiva seems slightly red and below his lower eyelid a bit swollen. He was sleepy and wouldn't do anything. He would even face upwards to try to breathe with his beak open. We just gave him a eyedrop that can also be used for healthy birds without side effects and a bit of aloe vera gel. We think that maybe some dried up bits of formula around that area caused him to try to claw it out, scratching himself and making it itch in the process. But we can't be sure yet. We might be too paranoid because of his previous incident XD.

Screenshot 2021-02-22 211355.jpg WeChat Image_20210222211242.png You can see the slight swelling.

When we dimmed the lights he seemed to be back to normal, active and playing around again. His eyes didn't have a problem at all, like it's never happened!

But please tell me if there is anything wrong with him? I am very worried and we cant go to the vet because of work. Tell me ASAP!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Bump!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Marbofloxicin is an antibiotic in the floroquinine group. It is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. Fluconizole is a widely used anti fungal.

Why did you reduce his dosage? Did the Dr. tell you to do that? That may be the problem. Also it is problematic that you put Aloe Vera on your bird's eye. Try to wipe his eye ad the surrounding tissue off with a cotton pad soaked in water. Aloe Vera is not all it's cracked up to be and should never be used on the eyes.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Bump means it is being bumped to the top so it is more visible to as many as possible. All the best to you and your sweet little guy.

also agree with hankmacaw, do not reduce a dosage unless cleared with the vet. It’s the same as with humans, just because we feel better after a few days, we still need to take the amount prescribed....

hang in there!

Angel&Char

Moving in
Real Name
Ash
Marbofloxicin is an antibiotic in the floroquinine group. It is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. Fluconizole is a widely used anti fungal.

Why did you reduce his dosage? Did the Dr. tell you to do that? That may be the problem. Also it is problematic that you put Aloe Vera on your bird's eye. Try to wipe his eye ad the surrounding tissue off with a cotton pad soaked in water. Aloe Vera is not all it's cracked up to be and should never be used on the eyes.
My bad. I meant around the eyes, not on the bird's eyes. It's better now. About the reduced dosage, yes today he had a problem again (a suspension dropping like described above) so I'm going to follow the required doses until our next vet visit on Friday. When we followed it, he got better, for now. Also, I forgot to add, he has never shown any interest in the food we gave (KAYTEE brand), even though he would give weak hunger cries. Since he arrived, he also had a strange smell - a bit sweet and metallic - which we now suspect is the fungi. Anyways I'll update if there's any problems. Thanks for some info though!

Angel&Char

Moving in
Real Name
Ash
Bump means it is being bumped to the top so it is more visible to as many as possible. All the best to you and your sweet little guy.

also agree with hankmacaw, do not reduce a dosage unless cleared with the vet. It’s the same as with humans, just because we feel better after a few days, we still need to take the amount prescribed....

hang in there!
Charlie says thanks. Anyways, his eye is better now and has always been playful. We are following the prescription now, after an incident of a suspension dropping, and he's back to normal!

Angel&Char

Moving in
Real Name
Ash
UPDATE: We returned from the vet check up. We found out that the marbofloxacin didn't work so the vet had to check his dropping and throat samples again. They said that they need 5 days to confirm which specific type of bacteria in a lab so meanwhile we have to continue giving nystatin, as well as:

• Meloxicam - for 3 days. For pain killing and anti-inflammation.
  • Ciprofloxacin - for all 5 days. For many bacterial infections including bone and joint infections, intra abdominal infections, certain type of infectious diarrhea, respiratory tract infections, skin infections, typhoid fever, and urinary tract infections.
  • Amoxicillin - for all 5 days. Oral suspension for mouth/ throat/ eye/ ear infections. (even I once took this type of medicine once)
I update if there are any more problems or if it gets better. Hopefully he recovers!

Angel&Char

Moving in
Real Name
Ash
Hey guys, a lot has happened, but Charlie is getting better. He attempts to fly now, and the only problems he has are yeast (which we're treating with Nystatin), and a build up of dead bacteria near the eye (like a pimple -- we visit the vet every few days to remove it). He's all better now!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad he's doing better!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry that you lost sweet, little Charlie.
:sadhug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry for your loss :(

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am so sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he may have had problems from the start, however, being not loved wasn't one of them.
Fly high Charlie.