• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Charlie has a booboo! :(

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
So Charlie got spooked and flew into a window.. I checked him all over and the area between his nostrils was red!

IMG_6695.jpg IMG_6699.jpg

It didn't look like it was bleeding, just super red, but when i cleaned it up a little with a wet Q-tip (only water) it was pink. Considered using cornstarch but it would've barely stopped anything, so I didn't. I'm not really worried about blood loss, I highly doubt he lost more than about a cubic millimeter (way less than a milliliter, so...)

I'm mostly worried about infection. He had two big gulps of water so at least I know it was rinsed, on top of my wet Q-tip. He just scratched himself somewhere near his nose though, I hope he didn't scratch his injury!

Any tips to keep infection at bay, water aside, please? I considered calling my vet, but then I thought I'd ask here first since I'm pretty sure he will be okay. Still, I don't want it to get infected :(

Poor lil man had some extra seeds and scritches afterwards... He nearly fell asleep on my shoulder grinding his beak and he is now preening. I hope I did the right thing, what an adventure! :nervous:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor birdie. I think it should be okay. Just keep an eye on it.

@Birdbabe ? @Mizzely ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Poor guy! Likely he'll be fine. Just keep an eye on him for the next 48 hours for any issues with appetite, droppings or balance as that may indicate he needs a vet visit.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ouch. All will probably be well, just a little boo-boo.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
@saroj12 That's a great idea! Unfortunately I still live with my mom so she might not let me for aesthetic purposes, but I'll see what I can do and I'll close the blinds when I'm with Charlie (and when the windows in the room have blinds... maybe I can put papers up in these) Definitely want to have a bird room and put some nets up once I have my own place, though.. :) I love yours!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
@saroj12 That's a great idea! Unfortunately I still live with my mom so she might not let me for aesthetic purposes, but I'll see what I can do and I'll close the blinds when I'm with Charlie (and when the windows in the room have blinds... maybe I can put papers up in these) Definitely want to have a bird room and put some nets up once I have my own place, though.. :) I love yours!
Thanks! Sending healing wishes for Charlie!:heart:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A little coconut oil, vitamin E oil or Silver sulfadiazine cream, if you have any..it dosent look that bad. Should heal in a few days.