• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Changing Interactions?

Madzrellie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Maddie
Hello!

I believe this is my first post to these forums, so I apologize if I’ve made any mistakes, I’m still not used to the website. I’m also trying to add as many details as possible, so sorry if it is long.

I have a DNA-sexed female GCC named Fiji (although mostly responds to “bird/birb”), who I have had for roughly 3 years, which is also about her age. She is my first bird, and I’ve realized that I have made a grave error when it comes to playing with her.

Our interactions usually include napping together, wrestling, and eating together. But, the wrestling and napping is what I’m concerned with.
She enjoys slapping my hand with her wings, even more so if the hand is resting on her so she can “beat” it up while she buzzes away. (Not the only way we wrestle, but that’s the one she enjoys most.) As for sleeping, she likes to go under my blanket and under my hand at the same time (extra warmth I’m assuming)— which leads me to believe this will become a problem when she reaches sexual maturity, I believe to be at 5 years old.

The back is very sexual for birds, so, if we continue to wrestle like that, will she interpret me as a mate?
I also read that going under blankets can be nesting behavior, so should I discourage that, too?
For the record, she always likes leaning into my hand and sleeping under, so, I’m also concerned that since her “no no zone” is always inside the cusp of my hand for these interactions, it will become sexual to her one day.

If so, I figured 2 years will be enough time to change behavior and how we play. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Hi and welcome to the Avenue, Maddie!

You're right... You do need to put an end to both those activities, and the sooner the better.

When you say eating together, does that mean she's eating your food or her own while you also eat?

How is she at playing with her toys and keeping herself occupied?

You can try redirecting her wrestling away from your hand and instead direct her play towards a toy. Maybe a wiffle or willow ball she can roll around and tussle with? My red-bellied loves to throw down and beat the living daylights out of a large chunk of balsa wood, so try a few different things until you find something she likes.

As for napping with your bird, are you asleep as well? If yes, stop that right now. Not only could it be interpreted as sexual/mating behavior by her, but it's just begging for an accident. Many, many birds have been squashed by their owners rolling over on them in their sleep. You may think you're taking precautions or don't move in your sleep or it can't happen to you for whatever reason, but it is never worth the gamble.

You need to work on establishing that you and her are "just friends." As much as you can, only touch her on her head and feet for stepping up.

Is she your only bird? Have you considered getting a second so you aren't her only source of companionship?

Madzrellie

Real Name
Maddie
Thank you for the response!

For feeding, normally I have my own food while she eats something else. Sometimes we will be eating the same thing, but, portioned to where she has her ration, and I have my own. Sometimes I will hand feed her her scraps after she flicks them. (Does this with fresh fruits/veggies, but also throws them on the floor, I think to feed the dogs but she could just enjoy throwing them sometimes. For the record, I don’t feed her the pieces she throws on the ground.)
There will be times where she’s sitting on me and tries to grab what I’m having, but, I don’t let her have it if I can help it. Although, she has managed to snatch fruit from me when I was attempting to eat it one time. (Don’t worry, it hadn’t been in my mouth. It was just about to be, but she reached from my head and took it out of nowhere. It’s very rare for her to snatch food.)

With occupying herself, the only thing that can really get her going are bells on some of her toys. But, when she doesn’t want to play with those, she kinda just yells for me (I don’t grab her if she is though, so I don’t encourage it.) I’ve tried foot toys, but most of them she is terrified of. (For example, I have this little colorful cylinder that has a bell inside. I offer it, but she jerks away most of the time. That, or she’ll really puff up and attack. And, I know she bites it hard since she missed it and snagged me once.)
I have yet to try a wiffle ball, but I’ll definitely need to. I think colors may also have an affect on her reactions, since a ball the colors of a soccer ball (white/black) scares her a lot, but, another ball I have is blue with a smiley face on it, and she’ll bob her head at it and is not scared of it. (I don’t give her the blue ball though. It wasn’t made for birds)
I don’t trust my assumption entirely though, because she’s scared of sand perches in general, no matter their colors.
She isn’t a chewer at all. I’ve got some natural wood perchs and wooden blocks, but, nothing. The one shred toy she ever played with was this thing that resembled a cupcake/popcorn. But, my parents get very mad at me when she makes a mess and have threatened to sell her when she does (despite the fact I clean around the cage often.) So, shred toys are sort of rare treat since there’s huge turmoil surrounding it.

For napping, I’m usually watching Netflix while she sleeps under the blanket and under my hand. I’ll definitely stop that though, since I’m terrified of her one day laying eggs. (I lost a bearded dragon to egg binding, so, I’m trying to avoid eggs in general if I can)

For petting, she’s very weird. Maybe you can explain to this, when she’s just sitting there, maybe grooming herself— she’ll randomly screech and bite her leg. (Moreso snaps at it rather than bites).
If I’m petting her neck (I’ve looked, there is not a pin feather there that could be irritating her), then that random snap thing will be directed at my thumb. It’s really odd and I’m not sure what it is. (Again, she doesnt actually bite herself)

But yes, she is my only bird. Currently I am living with my parents, and, they will not have anymore animals in the house. Even if that was an option, I wouldn’t be too sure I’d go through with it.
I’ve heard some birds enjoy being the only child, while others— once bonded to that other bird— become monsters towards you, even if you had already established a relationship with them. Fiji already went through a monster period when she was younger, and I’m not looking forward to that again lol.

However, I do wish to have a flock of many birds some day. So, I’ve got to get this behavior thing down and train myself (lol) as quick as possible in preparation for it. (Even though it won’t come for years, surely.)

Madzrellie

Real Name
Maddie
Thank you for the article—

But now that it mentions the hut, I’m wondering if I should get rid of that, too. The problem is, that’s where she sleeps and hides. However, I don’t want the chance of her becoming hormonal over it, and there’s lots of stories of birds getting tangled and dying.

Although, the risk, in general, of huts/tents is that a female will view it as a nesting spot...

Would removing it also be dangerous though? She is terrified of the vacuum when it’s on (even if it’s not near her), and uses her tent to hide, either inside it or behind. If I were to take it away, she wouldn’t have that— would that put her more at risk of heart attacks? (I believe that is the proper term, that or shock from fear?)

(I personally have a kennel upstairs I can put her in when I’m cleaning, but, my parents are not very courteous when it comes to my pets, and would do whatever. So, that is why I ask)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
could you set up some large toys with a perch behind them for hiding? I have a Hahns that likes to hide behind this toy whenever someone visits. It is large and works well in both length and width.
Carousel There are others by this vendor/other vendors that may work for you too.
If you are inspecting your happy hut daily for safety, you may be able to keep it till last resort and see if all your other changes keep hormonal behavior away. Everybirdy is different, and all the parronts have different opinions too.
If you get rid of the happy hut I'd suggest getting a platform perch so she has a flat spot for resting and variety for foot health.